Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an '89 9000s.
My battery keeps dying, though I have been told the battery is fine, and have had it charged, but then its dead again the next day. I also had the alternator tested, and they said it was working fine as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
It could be something on the car draining it but I think that unlikely in so short a time. If you could have it fully charged then leave it disconnected overnight and see if it's flat then it would prove that one way or t'other.

I did have a defective battery. It was under a lifetime warranty. It was about 6 years old. I took it back to the dealer. They tested it and said it was ok. I insisted it wasn't. They said, well, we need to test it when it's fully charged really otherwise the results are not accurate on the tester. They told me the battery was flat. I know it is I said. It won't charge up.It's knckered. It has a duff cell. That's whats wrong with it. That's why I brought it back. They agreed to keep it on charge overnight and then test it. I returned next day. Yes it's fully charged up now; reads 13+ volts. We'll just put the tester on it...........................your battery's duff mate. I know it is. Thank you.

That hasn't helped you much but it's *such* a long time since I've written anything here.......

Are you sure the battery is dead overnight? and it's not a bad starter motor or vehicle wiring that's at fault? How are you determining that it's dead?

Harvey

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we charged the battery and tested it Monday afternoon. It was fine untill about 2:30 Tuesday afternoon while my wife had it at work. The car will weekly turn over, but theres not enough there for it to start. So she got a jump, drove around a bit, turned it off, same thing happened, so she got another jump to get home. Once she was home it would restart. However it would not this morning.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Let's go back to the alternator. Sounds like you are not holding a charge. Pull the alternator and take it in to your local PeP Boys or Autozone and have them test it.

Before you pull it, check the ground wire. It is attached to the back of the engine compartment frame. Make sure your ground is good, if not get new connector and reground it.

I don't think you issue is the battery since you have had it tested. Your starter is obviously working.

Have the alternator checked. It's free at both places mentioned above.

Hope this helps

wherewolfe

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Sounds like the battery to me - if you charged it up fully - you would still get a fair bit of useage out of it even if the alternator was not charging fully - most likely cause is a dud cell -Can you tried swopping with a known good battery? - mine went suddenly - slow start one morning and then evening and when I stopped for fuel- even with warm engine, it had given up - new battery needed. Only other thing I can think of is bad earth connection.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Modern batteries often fail intermittently at first, then die due to a buildup of conductive sludge at the bottom of the cells eventually shorting the plates. As you drive around, this sludge can move and make things better or worse. I once had my Aero fail to start and when I jump-started it, I took it straight to a battery shop. They tested the battery, proclaimed it healthy and almost flatly refused to sell me a new battery. The car started immediately and I drove away. On the way home, braking for a roundabout, the whole electrical system died momentarily.

I had the car booked into the dealer for some other work the next day, so I asked them to look at the battery. Dead cell, new battery and no trouble since. Pity I had to pay over the odds for a Saab battery, when I could have had one from the other place for half the price...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Got to agree with BillJ on this. I had a battery fail suddenly when I left work one day yet it had been fine with no warning up until then. I got a jump start from a colleague and charged the battery overnight and it was fine for a fortnight then did it again. A new battery was duly fitted - no more problems.
As regards the alternator, the 9000 has a voltage reading in the EDU. This should be showing around 13.6 - 14.4V if the alternator is behaving.
The voltage display is not a good indicator of battery condition though. Even with a new battery the one on my car can show a minimum as low 7.0V after a cold start. The voltage may only have dipped that low for a spike of a millisecond or so but the EDU records that rather than the average cranking voltage which would be a lot more useful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Could also be that you're experiencing current drain due to an electrical fault somwhere in your electrical system. In addition I have always maintained that 9000 batteries need covers like the ones fitted to 95's. The battery gets too hot under the relatively tight engine bay in the 9000 and this causes 'gassing' of battery electrolyte and inevitable battery failure. I bought a cover for my battery and all you need do is slip it over the battery. Next time you stop after a reasonable trip in your SAAB pop the bonnet and touch the battery body to get an idea of how they get. Under a cover the battery is vastly cooler. battey manufacturers cite the increased under-bonnet temperatures in new cars as the real killer of batteries ....
Good Luck (buy a battery cover

·
Registered
203 Posts
You need to also confirm that your battery has been tested for its Cold crank amp output. I have seen techs run a voltmeter across the terminals and proclaim battery health on this basis - wrong!. CCA is the correct measure of a battery's health. Also given that your battery is dying in the morning (ie. cold) its a classic case of plate corrosion caused by hot batteries loosing fluid, eating away their plates more quickly due to higher levels of acidity in the battery and also voltage discharge which occurs when batteries get hot (i.e. they pump out a lot of voltage when hot but die cold). My impression, having read all the responses is that your battery is exhibiting all the classic signs of overheating, electrolyte gassing, plate corrosion, high temp voltage discharge and diminished CCA. All of which can be resolved with a new battery, a cover for your new battery and an occasional peak into your battery cells to make sure their is enough fluid in the cells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.