Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, bear with me this one, simple but longish story...

Got a call from my Mum on Friday to say that she was going to take the CSE V6 out, but there was no electrics and the battery appeared dead.
Now for the last 2 months, up until 1 week before I'd been using the V6 as everyday transport with no problems, (my Mum then drove the car during that week for only the second time in 12 months...but that's another story.. )but 4 days later the battery is as dead as that 'Tamworth' pheasant.. ..
My first reaction was ...... what did you leave on to drain the battery....nothing she says..

Anyway I charged the battery up over the weekend and refitted it, everything seemed OK, apart from on starting the car, I noticed that the aerial didn't go up and I could'nt switch on the radio/cassette at all...
The fuse seemed OK, as I'd just re-set the SCC/clock display and that's the same fuse as the aerial/radio according to the manual...
My suspicions are that a fault has occured in the audio unit and drained the battery......
Any ideas anyone....????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,928 Posts
It wouldn't be the first time. A friend of mine had a similar problem, except that was intermittant, i.e. once every couple of weeks the stereo would switch something on internally and drain the battery - usually the night before an early flight!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
Are you sure that there is not a dead cell in the battery. I would be surprised if anything in the audio system would draw enough current to drain a charged battery overnight. My battery packed up quite suddenly - one day started fine and the next not - started with some trouble in the morning and then packed up on a warm engine when I stopped for petrol. My gauges also started acting strangely - anthing like that?
Might be worth getting it checked just to rule it out.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
I had also been having odd problems with my electrics going dead when I turned off the engine, often after a good drive. Alarm and central locking went mad (seemingly a sign of very low charge or battery dying) and other times there seem to be a bit of resistence to starting the engine.
Went to the dealer to have it checked and there were some dead cells in the battery. After the change, there has been no trouble starting since.

Hope that helps, but it is worth cg.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dead cell was my first suspicion, but on regularily checking the battery whilst on charge, all the cells were bubbling away merrily, so I assumed that there were'nt any cells dead...or is that not neccessarily the correct assumtion...????

What in particular is bemusing me was the fact that when turning on the ignition after putting in the charged battery, the aerial did'nt go up, and I could'nt turn on the radio at all...????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
I don't think that the bubbles are necessarily a true sign - if when charging there is current flowing across the plates it will produce some bubbles - hydrogen? but when in use the cell may be putting out very low voltage and if more than one cell affected your total voltage could be too small. If you belong to one of the emergency breakdown services with home start or the like I am sure they would be able to confirm one way or the other quite quickly otherwise a local garage or vehicle electrics factor? The radio may be associated with the low voltage or quite coincidental. How does the engine turn over if you try and start - is it laboured or does it spin over quickly?
Hope this helps.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Essentially there is very much more to the health of a battery than meets the eye. All sorts of ills can afflict the humble battery. Most notably under bonnet temperatures are a significant killer of batteries, particularly in the 9000's cosy engine bay and relatively low level of airflow. In the case of the V6 there is even less room again. Interestingly my 9-5 has a battery cover that shields the battery from direct radiant heat. Heat is a battery killer because higher temperatures result in the gassing of battery electrolyte and naturally falling levels in the battery cells. You also get higher acid concentration on the remaining wet parts of the plates which means you also get higher levels of corrosion. I have a V6 9000 Griffin and I suspect that the radiant temperature under the bonnet of the 9000 to be too high, given the location of the battery and the fuse box (relay problems anyone?). I have previously consumed batteries in under 12months. Now I have protected my current battery from radiant heat by using a slide on battery cover that fits over the top. Whilst ambient temperatures are unchanged, the battery cover does protect the battery from extreme radiant heat from the exhaust manifold and engine. Another piece of physics working against hot batteries is the increased propensity of batteries to discharge voltage when exposed to higher temperatures. This means you'll get plenty of cranking current when the battery is hot, but when the temperature drops you get less cranking current, a cold engine, and ultimately no go. My advice, keep your electrolyte well topped up, keep any breather tubes clear of the body and cover your battery with a heat resistant (non-conductive) cover (heat shielding). I would also suggest covering the fuse box because excessive heat also affects relays.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top