Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly hi, yes i'm new here and i have posted 2 pics in the 'car forecourt' area.

My car is a 1991 and so i don't legally need to have the catalytic converter fitted, but when it comes to mot time, will the emissions be through the roof or will it pass ok?

I've been told that removing the cat will give some extra hp, but is there really much of a performance gain taking the cat off?

& finally, can somebody point me in the right direction as to where to get a decat pipe?

Cheers,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Speedy,

I did this on my first SAAB, a 9000SE with a 2.3 non turbo. The change was quite dramatic, I think Abbott were quoting a 10 BHP gain, simply more oomph and probably more MPG. There were no problems with the car at MOT time either.

Dave.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've decatted my 9000 2.3i auto. But when its MOT time my CO readings go through the roof.
I'm changing it back days before the mot and the same evening after the mot.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
In practical terms, one would normally struggly to notice a 10hp gain.

However you will notice the much improved spool up of the turbo afforded by the reduction in back pressure. It will feel like more than 10hp.

As you say, de-catting an MY91 should present no probs for the MOT.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Speedy,

I have a spare 3" stainless steel cat bypass pipe which I have decided not to use. PM me if you are interested.

Kevin

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys. Being a 2 litre auto and not the 2.3, it is a bit slow, especially up steep hills where it tends to struggle, so the extra oomph would be welcome. I would of prefered it to be a manual but beggars can't be choosers i suppose, and a lack of funds makes a 900 or 9000 turby a no no

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
What is the story with de cat'ing a 1993 aero? I've just fitted a JT 3" cat-back and bought a cat-bypass at the same time...but wasn't at all sure of the rules so haven't fitted it as yet.
Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
547 Posts
Kev,

I believe that the rule is that you are allowed to remove the cat however you'll fail the emissions test at your MOT unless you replace it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Originally posted by Gordy:
[qb]Kev,

I believe that the rule is that you are allowed to remove the cat however you'll fail the emissions test at your MOT unless you replace it. [/qb][/b]
Thanks mate. So it is legal do this then? Presuambly I have to declare this to my insurers?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I think the point is that if you're tested and found to have a vehicle that fails the MOT (emissions) then it's not roadworthy and needs to be fixed.

The chances of being stopped for suspected emissions are probably significantly less than being caught driving round the M25 on the phone at 80+ mph while reading a map and by the frequency of those such occurances, it seems that people aren't worried about geting caught for that either.

David.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I thought pre-1994 didnt need a cat? Pre 1994 also have more open emmissions tests as a consequence... Or have I got the cutover year wrong?

·
Registered
57 Posts
faero,

I think you have the date wrong, the change over was 1992 AFAIK. Essentially J reg OK, but most K reg not. If the cat is removed on a '92 or later car it will fail the MOT.

Dave.

This post has not been checked for factual errors

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Speedy,

Look at my last posting. Just bougt a de cat´ed MY92 9000 2,3 HPT 225 HP. Feels very quick but also a bit noisy when getting over 3000 rew´s!!!!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just de-catted my 1995 9k aero. All I can say is

However because I live in London I'll probably put the CAT back on, I've only done it as I'm on track this weekend. And knowing my luck I'll get stopped at an emissions spot check whilst driving through the city

1 - 18 of 18 Posts