Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to DIY mod a spare shifter unit and install it in my 1997 900SE turbo. I have done my homework and am tenatively going to follow Eric's advice and raise the fulcrum 25mm. In searching the boards I found DCSAABs idea to use stacked metal spacers to both raise the fulcrum and stiffen the unit (LINK Short Shifter Thread

I like that idea as I am not proficient with fabrication like certain engineering students from Conn, USA. I also think it would be a more rugged and adjustable unit. Any thoughts guys after more use of your units? Would you still suggest 25mm? What do you think would best suit a spacer like DCSAAB suggested?

I also plan on examining the bushings in the linkage and perhaps tightening them with electrical tape. When I removed this gearshift unit from the donor car I was amazed at the slop in the bushings (96 however). I am really seeking a stiff and responsive feeling from a shifter that is anything but!

I'll take pics, hope to get a web page soon too.

Thanks guys, I'm really excited about this and I think it will be good to have another DIY short shifter out there as I don't think many have attempted this amazing mod.

Cheers,
nicholas
1997 900se 140k
Speedparts Intake
MBC
viggen IC
ported tbtc
ceramic Exh Manifold
SAAB SS 9-3 Exh
SAS Sway Bar

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started taking the shifter unit apart, removing lock out, ignition etc... I'm still searching for an appropriate spacer item per DCSAABs reccomendation. DCSAAB, did you build this or just dream it up? If I can't find one I will most likely go ERP's route. I know SAABsavior makes one, any idea on their process?

Thanks again,
Nicholas
1997 900SE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts