Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know how many hours i have spent trying to find the best oil for my car. but, the more hours i have spent the more confused it all becomes.
my car has only covered 34000 miles, i like it alot, it has been modified and i drive pretty hard sometimes. i reckon i will keep this car for another 100000 miles, so the choice of oil is important to me. i have looked on the mobil web site and put in my car details, they say use 0w-20 or 0w-30. i am using saab brand 0w-30 turbo oil at the moment. but the info i have read about these oils is fairly mixed with the pros and cons. if this oil is rubbish how will that change our feelings towards buying a car with a dealer history, as thats the oil they will be using. is there anyone who help me, as this is frying my brain. i am old enough to remember when the choice was duckhams or gtx, went to halfords came out with headache there must have been 20 oils to choose from. cheers. peter

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I use standard 0w-40 Mobil 1. £25 a can from Costco and the engine uses no oil between 6,000 mile changes.

I also drive fairly hard with 290BHP and the car has covered 109,000 miles.

Go with Mobil 1 & Optimax and I reckon you will prolong the life of your engine. According to one of my mates who has run standard petrol and Optimax (in his 235bhp Elise!), Optimax has a quite amazing cleaning effect on the inside of the engine.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Peter, I presume you looked on the Mobil.com website. Unfortunately, this is US based and gives the products available in the US of A. The mobil.co.uk website does not have any lubricants info and refers you to the mobil.com site. The 20 and 30 grade oils are not available in the UK, but are becoming more common in the US of A to improve the statutory fuel consumption figures. I am confused by your comments, as the website seems to me to suggest 0W-40 as the preferred oil for high perfomance European car engines, it even calls the stuff "European Car Formula". To quote from the website:

"Mobil 1 0W-40 is the most advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide ultimate cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 0W-40, European Car Formula (NA) or Protection Formula (EU), exceeds the requirements of the leading industry and car manufacturers' standards required for newer modern gasoline and diesel powered automobile engines. The Mobil 1 Technology is race proven and the choice of NASCAR racing. Mobil 1 0W-40 is perfect for all types of vehicles anywhere in the world and has the performance reserve to protect when conventional engine oils cannot. It is the first choice at the factory for the some of the world's finest performance vehicles: Mercedes-Benz AMG, Porsche, and Aston Martin."

There have been some posts on this board to suggest that this particular oil does not state "in grade" i.e. maintain its viscocity, for long enough. These comments have been made with the benefit of used oil analsyses, data which we do not generally have access to in the UK.

I personally do not see any reason to use an oil any thinner than 0W-40. If you have any doubt as to the wisdom of using this grade, then, like several correspondents on this board, you may care to use Mobil 1 15W-50, or possibly better still, Castrol RS 10W-60. Unfortunately we are unlikely to see any used oil analysis for the Castrol RS 10W-60 as it is not available in the US.

Might I suggest that you give Castrol's technical department a call on 01793 452222? They have always been helpful as well as knowledgeable whenever I have troubled them.

You can get both the Castrol products delivered to your door for £25 for 4 litres (minimum 16 litres at that price) from Castrol Classic Oils, unless they've increased since I last got some.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
AMSOIL isn't a commonly heard name with regards to oil, especially out of the US of A. But a friend of mine is a distributor for the stuff and I've seen it in action. The racing oil is a 10W-50, and the stuff for the street is a 5W-30. His 1990 Dodge Shadow ES turbo was running that stuff for 120,000 miles, and after all that time the turbo has no shaft "play", and the cyllinder bores still have the factory cross hatching in them! 0W-40 may be a better oil still, but goes to show that you may not be horribly off with a 30 weight, especially if your main concern is gas mileage and not horsepower.

Food for thought ...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I can understand your confusion. But I think you need to look at the simpler question of changing the oil. I've got a lightly modified 2.0 eco with 192bhp. I change the oil and filter every 6000 miles and use an own brand oil from a french hypermarket, a 5W-40 fully synthetic. Let's face it, they obviously don't refine it themselves & chances are it's Elf. I pay about £10 for 5 litres.

With regards to viscosity, 5W40 is within Saab recommendations, it has the right API rating (whatever the highest currently is). I would shy away from using too thin an oil.

I sometimes have a crisis of conscience as to whether I should use really tip top expensive stuff like Mobil 1, as the extra cost is peanuts compared with the price of a blown engine, but I figure, as the car doesn't get blasted too often, it doesn't matter too much what the oil is as long as it gets changed before it breaks down.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I phoned the nice folk at Castrol and they recommended RS 0W-40 even for turbo engines putting out serious power. When I asked why they produced the 10W-60, they said that it offered no real improvement in protection, but was necessary for engines that were "old technology" and had oil pump tolerances, in particular, that would not work well with the thinner oils. They named Ford Cossies as a prime example. They stated that with high power turbo engines, the difficult part is keeping the bottom end together under load, rather than any concerns about the turbo.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I think you're right about the 60 weight oil. There's just no need for oil that heavy. Especially not if you have a relatively new engine. The tendancy for the oil's film barrier to breakdown is more a result of previous engine wear, or badly produced parts than it is the weight of the oil. Heavy weight oil could be a very good idea once you're past the 150,000 mile mark as the clearances in the engine are beginning to expand as a result of wear and a thicker oil will help to keep things from rubbing where they shouldn't. But in a newer car running a thicker weight oil can actually (I've read a little into this) cause MORE engine wear because it doesn't not do a suitable job of getting into tight places. In newer cars especially this can be a problem. Of course in summer, in a hot climate, if you
lots, thick oil may just help that little bit. I personally wouldn't ever go over 40 weight unless for stricly racing purposes. There just isn't a need for superheavy oils anymore with all the new advanced synthetics. At least there doesn't seem to be ...

p.s. Saabs aren't usually very troublesome when it comes to premature wear. Just run a good synthetic and try to keep the
to a minimum when it's really hot out and they should last 200K miles with the standard oil. No reason not to, unlike a lot of other cars they were actually engineered PROPERLY.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone for your help epecially mark b. i am sure you will delighted to know that mobil 1 0w-40 will be the oil i am changing to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I phoned the nice folk at Castrol and they recommended RS 0W-40 even for turbo engines putting out serious power. When I asked why they produced the 10W-60, they said that it offered no real improvement in protection, but was necessary for engines that were "old technology" and had oil pump tolerances, in particular, that would not work well with the thinner oils. They named Ford Cossies as a prime example. They stated that with high power turbo engines, the difficult part is keeping the bottom end together under load, rather than any concerns about the turbo.  [/b]
sounds bizarre to me,did they also say why they developed the 0w? I've always used Millers 10w60 or castrol RS 10W60 and found it to be the best oil by far.No way would i trust a 0w oil in any car i have

·
Registered
10 Posts
In fact,i think the Castrol quote is more than bizarre,it simply doesn't add up.Maybe the quote has come from someone in marketing.

There have been several rumours that 0w oils were only developed to meet emmissions regulations,and race teams only use it because they are told too

why subject your engine to something so thin?

You only have to go and speak to the Impreza tuning community to discover what they think of Mobil 1 0w and just how high they rate Castrol RS 10w60 and Motul 15w50

some links (warning-nerd content high,but very interesting)

web page

web page

web page

·
Registered
10 Posts
just to expand,its the heat generated by the turbo that is the problem,not the reliability of the turbo itself.The 0w40 oils are so thin they get cooked due to excess heat generated from the turbo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts