Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. I have just bought a Dawes boost controller and I'd like to know how to install it best. The car is a CS Carlsson auto.

First of all, my ECU is shot, giving base boost all the time. So I have no interest in keeping APC (which doesn't work, anyway).

To try the device, I put it between the C and W hoses. i know that there is a lot of pipe that way, but it is only temporary. I get very quick spool up, at low revs everything's fine, boost to my set level (14 psi). As the revs rise above 3k, the boost level starts falling, until it goes down to around 10 psi. Is that a result of the long hoses or something else? I know the turbo can't keep up at higher revs, but 10 psi seems a bit too low.

I don't really like the driving characteristics of the car right now, as it takes off with the slightest push on the gas pedal, but as the revs rise the car gets slower. I'm used to more power as the revs go up...

Would running the controller off the manifold help? Where exactly do you tap into the manifold? My car doesn't seem to have a spare nipple. Would the vacuum hose going to the Y splitter and from there in the car (for the boost gauge) be ok? If not, where? I know I shouldn't mess with the MAP sensor line...

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Harry

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, the boost will taper like that due to the design of the controller. Mine does the exact same thing. One way around it is to take the boost source for the controller from somewhere after the intercooler. But then you run into the problem of spikes because it's being tapped so far down the system. As far as i know there's no pretty way around it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I keep looking at these devices and thinking "I want one but what about the downside?" By that I mean, it will, I think wipe out the Trionic management system and if the car was meant to be without one why did SAAB put it in?

Is the Dawes devise that, full proof? Lots of questions I know. Maybe I should buy one and see how it goes

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, the boost controller defeats the Trionic's ability to combat knock by reducing boost. Although, it can still reduce knock by adjusting the timing.

The safest route to raising your boost is by getting a reprogrammed ECU by Abbott or SQR. There are lots of people running manual boost controllers on Saabnet though and i haven't heard of one engine having problems.

My theory is that the kind of person that will put a boost controller on thier car is an "enthusiast". An enthusiast is going to keep his/her car in good tune and will be aware if something doesn't sound or feel right. That's my take on it. I know that i care a heck of a lot more about my car than the average car owner (my dad thinks i'm nuts....haha). I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way (that you care more about your cars- NOT that i'm nuts).

Dave

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Nine00, thanks . That's pretty much the way I was thinking. If mpen is right (on Zeppelin's thread) about SAAB reducing the ECU upgrade to £200 I might go that way. Still, no rush...

·
Registered
100 Posts
For 35 bucks US you really can't go wrong with a boost controller. It's cheap thrills and gives you a really good idea of what you want when and if you get your ECU reprogrammed.

Apparently, if you send your ECU to Stromquist Racing (the "SQR" i referred to earlier...), they let you give input on what you'd like the boost at in certain gears and such. A fella that i know here in Canada got his ECU reprogrammed by SQR for 600 dollars CAD or so. That's a steal compared to some of the other tuners and he's never been happier.

So if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket it's certainly within reach. I have a MBC on my car and it's certainly fun.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts