Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the plain black plastic dash on my '97 Aero and am considering sprucing it up a little.
I quite fancy the carbon fibre or brushed aluminium effect. I certainly don't want to put on some fake maxpower/halfords sticky stuff, I want something solid like the walnut dashes you see on ebay, but in a more metallic tone.
Anyone had this done or know of any suppliers of this kind of thing?
Thanks,
Andy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks /john,
I'm sure I recently saw some pics of a dash like this on here somewhere but can't find them now!
Were they yours?
Think I would prefer something solid rather than stuck on...... know any suppliers of custom dashboards?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Andy

Yes I do have some pics but they are on my computer at work.

If you PM me with your e.mail address I will e.mail them to you tomorrow.

They are made by a company in Nottingham but the name eludes me. It was Bond st saab who were selling them at the ruby do.

The effect is really quite subtle, it has a greeny grey hue and in my humble opinion looks better than the walnut sort.

talk to you later.

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just had a look around the web.

If you do a search for

dashkitstore

they list loads and loads of different types, including carbon for the 9000, with an 11 piece kit at about $170 (american company I guess).

Could not find the name of the company in Nottingham nad I threw the leaflet that came with mine away.

Hope this helps
Ant

·
Registered
135 Posts
G'day. I was looking at those adeshive films at my local parts store today as I have been thinking of doing this for some time.
There were two types available; some carbon fibre effect ones which on inspection looked like they had been printed on a dot matrix printer, and looked decidedly cheap. The other one was a brushed aluminium type. This actually looked quite good. (i think it would go quite well with my blue leather interior )
I dont think it would be too dificult to fit as the dash is quite flat compared to most modern ones. Though the auto shifter surround might be a bit trickey.
To mould the film to curved surfaces you have to heat it up with a hairdryer.

My only concern with the shiny type of film would be the glare from the sun. I have a similar problem in my triumph spitfire with the sun reflecting off the chrome gauges (i should have left the rust on them). Even the strongest raybans have difficulty coping.
As the film is only 20 bucks a roll in the sales I think I'll go back tomorrow get some.
Will keep you posted.

Billy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.