Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The display at the bottom of the Dash which shows voltage/MPG etc. has gone very dim on my 92 9000CSE, the little sensor on the front of the Computer is clean & if covered actually dims the display so much it almost dissapears, the display on the computer itself is bright & reacts as you would expect. Any ideas please? if unit is suspected as faulty any idea where to get one at a reasonable cost (Nottingham/Derby)area. Regards Paul

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes Adrian, there are two of them and you have to take the top of the dash and remove the instrument panel to get at them. It's a while since I last did any but as I recall they are 1.2W and have a plastic bayonet fitting attached to the base and are about the smallest bulbs you can buy. It helps to know that because you won't want to take it apart twice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Adrian & Derek, it would make sense that it's a bulb as it went dull quickly i.e. one minute it was ok & the next like it is now. It sounds like a fun job to get at though!not a 5 minute job by the sounds of it
oh well something to keep me busy if I get bored!

Regards Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Derek

Is it essential to take the top of the Dash off or can you can access from below i.e in the footwell? If the top of the Dash has to come off is there anything I should know prior to attempting it?

Regards Paul

·
Registered
169 Posts
the top of the dash comes off really easily: simply undo the speaker covers, then undo the bolts that hold down the dash top. These are on either end of the top, the upper edge of the glove compartment box, and just left of centre of the upper edge of the instrument binnacle. The deep edge hooks under the windscreen. A cable loosely anchors the panel in two places, so you'll have to unclip the cable as you lift the top. It's rather fun and easy, and an opportunity to replace or repair whatever needs done whilst you're there, including anti squeak and rattle measures!

Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the good news is that my Dashboard display lights have returned to normal as if by magic! (suspect a loose connection?)but the bad news is that my Auto transmission decided to go in to self destruct at the same time! The car has done 78K with full Saab history so it's not from lack of TLC, fortunately the dealer I purchased the car from a couple of months ago has agreed to get it repaired. Assuming the result is up to scratch I think the dealer deserves a pat on the back, he has already exchanged the Heater matrix & a few other minor repairs with a cheerful smile!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Was this a Saab dealer you bought the car from Paul?
The auto box is a well known weak spot - I really quite fancy an auto but I dont think I'd risk a 9000 auto even with fSsh - heard too mant stories like yours.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for delay in responding, the dealer is not a Saab dealer but sells a lot of them, he buys the older models from the main Saab dealer in the area. The company is Tony Holmes Cars of Loughborough, Leicester.

I got my car back last night complete with a copy of the Invoice to Tony Holmes (£893)for reconditioning my box (12,000 mile Guarantee) the box is now superb, however the traction control fault light is now intermitantly coming on & this of course means that the engine power is greatly reduced! switch off the engine & restart & things are OK again? I have a worry that this may be a difficult fault to cure! does any body know if it needs recalibration or do I suspect a loose connection?

Regards Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts