Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one know of a set of speakers that can replace the front speakers on my saab 9000i xs, the rears have been replaced by the prev owner and sound good but the front speakers dominate the sound being very tinny, i heard that macrom speakers are good for this,any others.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The basic speaker set up is quite good at the front in 9000s as it is a component system (separate hf & lf drivers)- it sounds like they may have been replaced.

Any decent aftermarket component system should provide an improvement- but it's probably worth checking what's in there at present. I've used some Infinitys which I'm very happy with, but there are plenty of other manufacturers.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Imho the front speakers have the most impact on the soundstage and must be chosen with care
also they are a personal choice so I would audition a few.
I have used abused and (my wife has) fried a few of these both component and dual concentric
My favourites were infinity Kappa units (but did not have the power handling ..
currently pro jbl with ti cones which have great power handling but are definitly on the sharp side
luckily they are a common size (for once !!)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I can back up the recommendation for Macrom, but don't know if they're availible anymore.
I have them in the front of my Aero with the source being Pioneer CD into a Soundstream Reference amp, lovely and smooth if that's the way you like it?

Nick.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If you don't like a too higher sou=nd in the front, you could try disconnecting the separate tweeters and see if you prefer that sound.

They are lower and further towards the back of the car than the main front speakers.

Andrew

·
Registered
706 Posts
I thought that the sound quality in the Saab was pretty good, but te overall sound lacked any 'middle', which cannot be adjusted on the standard head unit.

Are there any after market head units that will attach to the factory fit Clarion bootchanger?

SKiddins

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Martin,

Front: Separate tweeter (Audax OEM) and circa 100mm midbass unit. No rear enclosure

Rear- more difficult- there were a number of varaitions fitted from what I can tell; some will have been component, some had extra amplifiers- I think we'd need microcat to tell us what he's got in the back.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not had a chance to check make of speakers will do that today, the sound set up is as said at the front the saab, the optional saab sound system with dolby radio cass + cd, car is a 9000i xs 1991/2 last model before change to cs, i have the brochure for the car and it was the top of range system at the time.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how much of a diff did changing the mid bass do, disco the tweeters and it is the mid range that is lacking, what did you change the to, ta must have the same prob as you 2 many hours driving flt's tractors and volvo l70's

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Interesting about the mids only being changed as one shop said to do this. Re the front sounding too sharp, you could always fade to the rear more - I find this gives a nicer balance with the standard speakers and my Denon. I have a set of Boston Acoustics waiting to go in the front, which Scrappy thought were much better than the standard units.

I would have thought that most Clarion units will fit the bootchanger, but best to question this with the dealer. There is certainly room for improvement over the stock Aero head unit as I found when I replaced it.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
how much of a diff did changing the mid bass do, disco the tweeters and it is the mid range that is lacking, what did you change the to, ta  must have the same prob as you 2 many hours driving flt's tractors and volvo l70's[/b]
Can't remember rightly,

They were just down from the best JVC 100mm dual concentrics (central separate tweeter ones).

I tend to have tha bass and treble down a bit, balance very slightly rear and the volume up to compensate.

Andrew

PS.
Arcam FMJ CD
Arcam FMJ 2ch DAVE Amp
Arcam FMJ 3ch Power
Arcam Alpha 10 2Ch Power
Arcam Alpha 10 3ch Power
Arcam 9 CD
Arcam Delta 280 Tuner

Dynaudio Contour 1.8's

+ a few other bits

too much!!!