Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was removing my dash and I didn't notice the spacer that has been mentioned in some posts. I did hear it fall down though. Now that I have it back where exactly does it go? I read that it goes on the screw that is under the speaker grill. I'm guessing that means the screw up towards the windshield? Also, just out of curiousity, what is the purpose of the steel cable that runs from a-pillar to a-pillar?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The spacer does indeed fit underneath the mounting of the speaker nearest the windscreen. It's about 6mm/¼" thick.

The steel rope is to help hold the shell together in the event of a serious accident. The windscreen is actually part of the structural integrity of the car; the wire helps to take it's place if it smashes.

·
Registered
494 Posts
the cable being not "even close to tight" would enable the body to flex and distort in the event of a serious accident, which will help to absorb the impact. the cable is there to limit that flex and distortion so that the body is prevented from being crushed or torn apart.

for instance, in the event of a high speed rollover, the body of the car would be subject to extreme forces that would be crushing one part of the body while trying to rip apart another. if the body did not have room to move and flex, i would expect the bolts and rivots holding everything together to shear off and come apart. leaving this room for movement will allow the entire panel or frame section to bend and flex and distort along its entire length, spreading the forces across the entire car and allowing it to stay intact.

if the cable were taught, it would reduce body flex in normal driving conditions, but i expect that the cable mounting points would rip out. the slack cable will simply act to limit the amount of 'give' that the body has.

sry, i have no info concerning the spacer, i hope you have that figured out... and i hope i was able to clearly present my understanding concerning this safety feature

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.