Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a look at the 9000 in my garage today, '88 CDi. Is there supposed to be a direct ignition pack on the top of the engine? Mine hasn't got one, its got the screw holes in the rocker cover for one, but has plug leads direct from the plugs to the dizzy. It has a coil mounted on the slam panel. Is this OK, it seemed to run fine except for a slight variation in the tickover speed. Is it common for the DI pack to be removed or is this a bodge up that won't last,and should be removed.
one last question, what the eck does this DI pack do? I'm more used to conventional set ups, does it remove/improve on the standard system or is it all a bit of extra electronics for the sake of it.
Many thanks
Dean

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The answer is, that your CD did not come with DI in the first place. The first cars that got DI were some 1988 Turbo models. For 1989 the DI/APC system was introduced which found use in Turbo models all across the 9000 board. The first normally aspirated model to get DI was the 2.3 - although I have roadtest pics (Car & Driver IIRC) of a 1990 CD 2.3 fitted with a distributor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers
. you know I'm going to have to invest in a haynes/workshop manual. might sve my blood pressure a bit

So can anyone tell me what the advantages are of the DI pack over a conventional system. and what are the thread tappings in the rocker covers for.
Cheers
Dean

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Very briefly:

The DI system uses a coil per spark plug that sits directly on top of the plug, and doesn't rely on on HT leads etc. It's more efficient at producing a spark, and enables ionisation monitoring of the combustion process by the ECU.

The four tapped holes (M6) are for a cover plate that should be fitted. It sounds like yours is missing this.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mark E,

Thanks for the edit. Next time I try and post a link I'll try that interesting looking 'URL' button at the foot of the page!

I've been spoilt by the fact that they seem to become clickable automatically on some other forums.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.