Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice required again please!

9000cse ecopower 2.0lpt MY 94

Over the past couple of months I have noticed the car to be a little more 'noisy' after 3000rpm and has been a little eratic in starting - sometimes no problem (hot or cold) and others an absolute pig. When I turn the ignition on I hear a buzzing which I think may be the fuel pump but does that mean it still works? D.I. was replaced about 4 years back and only done about 20k miles - does age present a problem over miles in this instance?

If anybody else is suffering starting problems at the moment - any help would be appreciated.

And any ideas as to why the car is noticeably noisier after 3000rpm would also be a help.

Cheers all

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by lion:
[qb]And any ideas as to why the car is noticeably noisier after 3000rpm would also be a help.[/qb][/b]
Two possibilities I can think of, both of which I checked when my '94 2.0LPT did this:

Engine mounts (I changed both and it made no difference)

Balance gear. On my car, the exhaust-side balance shaft sprocket had worn and the chain had jumped on it so the shaft was mis-timed. I replaced the sprocket, along with the chain (and the timing chain too, of course, while I was there). Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think you'll find that the buzzing noise you hear is the standard "plug cleaning" noise we get. If you don't engage the starter you'll hear it stop after three seconds or so.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hadn't thought of that but the buzzing is a different sound to when you switch the ignition off..if that makes sense...as I am assuming the plugs get cleaned at that time as well?

Ignition on - before firing - generates quite a loud buzz followed by a 'clunk' ...any ideas about that??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.