Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Again,

Just been told that my cylinder head is cracked on the 2nd cylinder. They thought they had a spare there to sell me, but on inspection they said it was no good.

They are looking to see if they can get me one from somewhere else. But failing that, can any of you guys recommend anywhere to me?

I was thinking Abbotts, but they can be costly, although it is gas flowed and gives an extra 10BHP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I made similar enquiries recently Rich

Possible sources of s/h units include DCA Reading (sorry, don't have their number to hand), Twostroke to Turbo.

Twostroke will also sell you a recon unit.

The Abbott price is based on using your existing head to gas flow.

If it were me, having been through the process and found the pitfalls, I would offer the following advice:

As long as you are not planning to undertake high levels of tuning, a recon head is a good proposition. The danger with a recon head is that it may have been previously cracked and repaired, and it may have left a weakness.

I would also avoid a head that has been skimmed if at all possible.

My preference would be to find a good condition untouched s/h head.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I have a head for sale which has been xray'd, pressure tested (crack tested), has been skimmed and valve seats cut. I saw it when it was not skimmed and it was skimmed as part of the overall work.

It just needs valves lapping in. I'm more than happy to sell it for £150 if it's of interest.

B202 engine was the original target, don't know how that works for you?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, I was supposed to ring the garage back at 5, but I got dragged to the pub instead. I'll give them a ring in the morning and see what's what.

David, I may well be in touch shortly. I'll PM you if I need the head.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Will do John, the only problem that I might have is finding it, we're between houses at the moment and it might have been moved to storage and being faced with several contains full to the doors wondering "hmm, now where's that cylinder head?" isn't funny!

David.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it back last night

It drives ok now, except for an irratic idle and the turbo is over boosting.

The garage said that the over boosting needs a rod on the turbo adjusting, I'm thinking this could be the waste gate he's refering to. As it keeps hitting the apc cut off and the gauge goes into the red a touch.

I haven't got a clue about this, so I'll have to book it in again. They couldn't do it before as I had a red DI APC box on there and the cut off didn't seem to exist. I've swapped back to my black DI APC box now.

Anyone know if its ok to run a 93/L 9000 CSE 2.0 LPT with a red DI APC? As not sure if I should swap it back to the red one after everything is working properly again.

As for the idle problem, it seems that if when tcking over I switch the aircon on, or operate an electric window it will stall. Swapped the idle control valve, but still no better. I'm going to give it a clean in a min, see if that helps, as it was a second hand ICV.

Soon see i guess...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by BillJ:
Rich, don't I remember that you had a manual boost controller fitted some time ago? Is it possible that this is just set a tad too high?[/b]
Your right Bill, I have. I also thought that, but I've taken that off also for the time being, as I thought I'd rather get the car running properly and then start to tweak it again.

I recently had my turbo reconditioned, and I'm thinking that the people who did it set the wastegate wrong. Not sure how it works really.

Didn't really notice anything after turbo was done as that's when we discovered the head was cracked, so hadn't really driven it.

Is it easy to adjust the wastegate? I'm considering getting the Haynes manual out and having a go.

Cheers,

Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts