Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the cylinder head gasket asap (why do these things always go just before Xmas?) and I was wondering if the head can be removed with the turbo and exhaust manifold still attached?

The reason being that the car is 13 years old and there is no way on earth that all the studs, bolts and nuts are going to come out in one piece.

The car is a 1989 2litre turbo, with a B202 engine and thankfully no aircon. There appears to be sufficent room with the fan etc removed but I'd appreciate any input from anyone who has tried it!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've taken a couple of old heads apart (1991 2.3T's though) and also not had any problems with manifold or turbo studs or bolts coming apart.
You should be able to take it out as a unit though, after all you can remove the whole engine without taking the manifolds off so there must be space. If you do attempt it this way I would recommend an engine crane or a helper, there's still quite a bit of weight in a head with manifolds to accurately move at arms length.
good luck...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, it all sounds reassuring.

However, I've just tried unbolting the rocker cover and one of the bolts sheared so I think I'll stick to plan A and try removing the head complete with turbo.

I'll post an update next week (unless I'm in hospital with a rupture )

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
However, I've just tried unbolting the rocker cover and one of the bolts sheared  [/b]
Ever since my brother and I sheared one of the bolts on a water pump I've tended to take the easy way out and pay someone to do it - then if it shears off its their problem.

As an aside my brother and I used to be able to do a cylinder head gasket change on a Hillman Hunter in just under 1 hour (oh the advantages of not having overhead cams!)

Steve

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update for anyone else who might be tempted to remove the head with turbo attached- it comes out with no problem at all, you dont even need to remove the cooling fan.

You do need two people, though- the head is awkward rather than heavy.

Oh and ignore the Haynes manual- most of it seems to be about a different car. The Townsend procedures are far more detailed and accurate, even though they refer to a 900 rather than a 9000.

Something I found very useful after refitting the timing chain, when you have to check the timing, was to jack up one front wheel, put the car in gear, and use the tyre to turn the engine over- far easier than a spanner on the crankshaft bolt.

You learn something new every day

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.