Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has came across this problem before. My car seems to cut out completly when I start it up and turn on the main headlights (straight after startup). When it goes, everything electrical goes aswell, lights on dash will go out etc... only to come back on very dull for a wee while before I turn the ignition off and then restart the car.

It was also dying out all of a sudden while cruising on the motorway etc... I put this down to a dodgy DI cassette which has sinced been replaced. Since then it hasnt died out while on the move.

For a while I thought all was cured but today it started cutting out again when the headlights where turned from daytime running lights onto main beams. (at the main headlight switch on the dashboard). At the moment Im thinking sticking main light relay or dodgy light switch. Just wondering if you guys have any other ideas?

btw I have a 92, 9000cs 2.0lpt

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Michael, sounds like an electrical problem with the headlights or charging system.What happens if you don't turn on the lights? Is it ok?
Check the charge rate with a volt meter connected to the battery, should be above 13.1v if it is check the voltage with the lights on.Also worth checking that all the earths are clean and tight.
Hope this is helpful

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It doesn't sound like a battery problem to me as you are able to start the car. It could however be corrosion/bad contact in the short cable that goes from the battery +ve term to the little distribution block. Put a voltmeter between the ywo and see what happens- you shouldn't see any significant voltage- <0.1V.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Col and Mark,
If I dont turn the lights on the car is fine, it cuts out when i sometimes switch the headlights on. The battery is fine as its well able to crank the engine during startup and she seems to be charging ok.

I have a multimeter at work and Im going to check to see, it definitly seems as if theres some sort of short happening somewhere along the line. And at least we can narrow it down to some of the lights wiring... the earth cables seem in good condition and free of corosion.

Its worth mentioning that I have a disused alarm setup on the car that has never worked/been used since I got the car. Ive been told to cut and join the two green wires in order to by pass the alarm... which maybe part of the cause.

Im going to do both anyway just to be on the safe side. Will let you guys know how I get on!

Cheers for the help

Michael

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi dicreamio,

Had a very similar problem happen to my '97 Anniversary - it was the ignition switch (electrical bit, not the key bit) that was the root of the problem. I had it replaced (a cheap garage job or probably easy for someone good with a spanner i.e. not me) and the problem vanished.

The light switch part and the cutting out for no reason sounds exactly like what I was experiencing.

HTH

absgt

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, Im going to go looking at this tommorow.

Lastnite however its started cutting out whilst driving along at 60mph on a dual carriageway. This problem had dissapeared for a while after fiting a new DI, however 2 weeks later its doing it again. Its only happening as far as I can remember when the headlights are turned on so Im putting it down to either something with the headlight wiring or a relay... or a unused alarm system that is going to be bypassed tommorow.

When it happens on the move its very worrying the car totally dies electrically, engine goes, all lights go and theres a split second of darkness before the engine fires up again under its own momentum...etc.

Also a funny thing happened today, I went to start the car and found that it was cranking ok but not firing up after its usual number of engine turns. Looked and realised the headlight switch was on, turned it back to daytime running lights and tried starting the car it then fired up ok.

Jobs for tommorow are
1. Bypass defunked and unused alarm system

2. Obtain from scrapyard headlight relay, headlight switch and change and ignition switch to really make sure.

3. Fit new fanbelt purchased from German and swedish... incidently the fanbelt I have to go in looks a wee bit narrower than the one currently in place (which sqeals like mad on startup). So I may not get round to it..

A weekend of saabatical fun awaits

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, havent got round to this as yet, as Ive been kept busy with a new arrival of the baby kind.

However, whatever is going on has got worse as I cannot

1. Turn on the lights anymore without the engine cutting out.

2. The engine will not start (but will turn) when the light switch is on.

Would this point to

1. Ignition switch?
2. Old unused alarm system?.
3. Dodgy Headlight relay/switch?
4. All of the above

Regards
Michael

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi,

I experienced option 1. but not option 2 with my 9000. I had to have the ignition switch replaced and then all my problems went away.

It had got to the stage where it would cut out while driving which wasn't fun being without engine, lights, PAS and brake servos at 60mph on a dark night!

Although it's not exactly the same as your problem, an auto electrician should be able to rule out the ignition switch quickly if the problem is elsewhere.

HTH

absgt
'97 9000 2.3t Anniversary

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers lads,

Ive just managed to rule out the relays

took the large red one out and started the car,
turned the light switch and car cut out.

Took the smaller headlight relay out aswell and started up the car. Turned on the light switch and yet again car died out.

So now its either the

Ignition switch or the old alarm...
Im going to be digging out a multi meter and doing some checking in the next few days.

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok lads,

finally sorted managed to stumble across the solution.. even though its likely to be a temporary one. Heres what I did,

1. I joined to the two green wires going into the
unused alarm as advised by my local saab mechanic.

No joy after that...

2. checked all fuses and reseated fuses and relays.

No joy after that...

3. Removed the two connectors going into the alarm and could start the car up.. but turning on the lights still cut the car out..

No Joy so..

4. Reinserted the two connector blocks going into the alarm.

Lights back to normal and no longer cutting engine out... Im persuming theres a dodgy connection on the connector block somewhere...
but at least im getting there.

Once again thanks for everyone who helped me out!
Its much appreciated!.

Cheers
Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.