Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just acquired a lovely old 1992 9000cs about a week ago and am now trying to sort her out. Bought a new cat. for £118 + vat from German & Swedish and some new leads, ditributor cap and rotor arm. problem is she cuts out at awkward times e.g. roundabouts !! I have noticed that the revs drop and some funny noises are heard when I put her on full lock ... very strange !! Anyone got any ideas as I'd like to drive with the confidence and not cause an accident !!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
For the cutting out, try cleaning the inside of idle control valve with carb' cleaner, a few minutes and your problem might well be sorted.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dave 9000CS
Is it a turbo?

When my old 9000 developed this problem it turned out that it was a faulty dump valve.

Also you could check your vacuum hoses.

You could also clean out the throttle body too, sometimes that gets gummed up and sticky.

Do you have a air flow meter on your car? If so, gently clean (Just by lightly spraying it) the element with carb cleaner too. Don't use anything like WD40 though.

welcome to saabscene by the way.

cheers

aeronaut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for such a speedy reply. The car is a standard 1958cc 16v which isn't that fast but it's nice and soft and I don't worry about speed humps. I have a very basic understanding of mechanics and need a haynes type of book to find out where the idle control valve is. I haven't had any luck finding one (the book)so far or in getting touch up paint in Embassy blue, but I'm sure something will turn up.
I'm going to get some carb cleaner and check my hoses as well. Thanks for the tips, I'll keep you posted as to any progress made.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I got my haynes from halfords.

If you do a search on here there are some good descriptions of where to find your AIC valve.

It is under the inlet manifold partially hidden by hoses etc. well it was on my 2.3 FPT and aero.

I'm not sure if the non turbos have these. Someone will be able to confirm this.
Ive not had a na myself.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts