Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes it can be done, had it retro fitted to my 96 CSE fpt. Not sure if the presence of TCS or lack thereof makes a difference though. There are two kits for the cruise control, hydraulic and electronic (I think - this is from distant memory) - make sure you get the correct one.

It took neo bros about 3 1/2 hours and 230ish quid to fit it to mine. Good to have!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi
I've been thinking of fitting an cruisecontrol on my97 9000 FPT CSE and I just wanted know some things
1. Can I put in a used one without any risks?
2. How much does a new one cost (if possible in ?euros)?
3. Do you have to fit it in an garage or can you just DIY?
4. Which one do I have to buy electronic or hydraulic?
5. Does it look like the original (if you don't buy a new one)?

TIA

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'm interested in this topic too, but there are gaps in my knowledge. From what I've seen here, your and my 97 will definitely have the electronic system. This is much easier to fit than the older system.

I think what you need is:

1) The cruise control brain or box.
2) An indicator stalk with the cruise switches.
3) The wiring harness for the pedal switches.

I've been watching Ebay and I see sometimes the whole lot, and sometimes just (1), or (1) & (2). The missing bits would be possible to source via breakers, or Neo Bros, or Ebay.

I think fitting just a matter of plugging bits in.

What I don't know is how many pedal switches there are, and how the auto is different from the manual (it must be to some extent because the manual has a clutch switch). Logic tells me there must already be a brake switch for the stop lights, but does the CC hook into this, or is another switch fitted? Maybe on the auto, there are no pedal switches to add.

Also, I have not yet grasped how on the non-TCS cars the throttle control is achieved. There must be some type of actuator, probably a vacuum one like in the old system. But is it guaranteed to be present on all non-TCS cars?

I believe a retro-fitted system will look exactly like a dealer/factory fitted one.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Earlier models use a vacuum actuator linked to the accelerator pedal.

AFAIK the later ones use an electric motor that attaches to the throttle butterfly control arm i.e. it has two cables on it- one from the accelerator and one from the cruise control unit.

The autos have a switch for the brake pedal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The late-model (electrical) system is identical for autos and manuals except for the requirement for a single (brake) switch for the auto and two switches (brake and clutch) for the manual.

The switches are additional and separate to any other functions (brake lights etc) - although I'm thinking of utilising the clutch switch as a signal point to enable the launch feature on my traction control - and it is very easy to snap their mounting lugs when you remove them from a doner car, which is why they are often missing from used kits.

The cruise control doesn't care which switch has been depressed in use, so the small 'wiring loom' that is referred to just joins the two switches together and then to the connector provided. You can rig up your own wire to make an auto kit into a manual.

There is no connection from the throttle pedal - the cruise 'brain' knows the (relative) throttle position from the 'current' position of the motor in the cruise box, which is connected to the throttle butterfly by a single push-me-pull-you cable with a nipple on it, just like the one on your pedal bike brakes.

Carl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.