Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a quick look at the cruise control system today but so far haven't managed to figure out what the problem is. The pedal switches seem to be seated correctly and the little plungers on the end appear to be doing what they should. I've just borrowed a multimeter so I'll test them over the weekend, but for now I'm assuming they are working okay.
The light on the dash comes on when I move the switch, but the speed won't set. I'm wondering if the button to set the speed on the side of the stalk could be faulty?
Is there anything else I can check?

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
mines been doing the same intermittently for a while now to my annoyance... light cone one stalk feels fine just cruise won't take over.

I'm sorry but I have not rectified the problem

it could be anything from the stalk it's self to any host of sensors on the engine and abs system and controls ie pedals

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mines been doing the same intermittently for a while now to my annoyance... light cone one stalk feels fine just cruise won't take over.

I'm sorry but I have not rectified the problem

it could be anything from the stalk it's self to any host of sensors on the engine and abs system and controls ie pedals
yeah I'm going to try and see can I find a schematic of the system, it could just be a split vac hose or something but until I get a diagram I don't know where to look!
is the eml on
Nope, there are no lights that shouldn't be there and the car is driving well, just cruise won't engage. The only other recent issue (which I doubt is connected but just in case I'll mention it) is the interior lights and some dash lights have started to intermittently flash. They could be fine for a day and then go nuts for ten minutes. I'll clean out the door pin switches today and see if that solves that problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any other ideas? a split vac hose seems to be a common problem, my main issue is that I don't know where they run from/to so I'm pretty much flying blind....

edit - okay, now I'm totally confused! I was going on information I read here
http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/FAQs.html#CRUISE_CATEGORY_-_Cruise_Control_Failures

w
hich mentions vac hoses being one of the main culprits. I found a diagram for an older cruise control setup in the 9000 and figured it might give me some idea of where to look.
http://townsendimports.com/Web/electrical_system_folder/cruisecontrol.htm

H
aving looked at that, I went back out to have a look at the pedal switches again only to now realise that there is no vacuum hose attached to them. It seems to be a purely electrical system?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
hi sorry wasn't able to access my old laptop and only have 9-3 on this.

unfortunately it could be one of many things from a simple switch to a sensor failed.

have you tested the brake switch signal, as the cruise will not activate unless it has seen a signal from this at least once

something like this may be useful to help you diagnose this and other faults http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-Work...-5-Service-Repair-WIS-EPC-93-95-/120860863466

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks kez, I actually got one similar to that but it won't run on my computer (32 bit only). I'm trying to get that working but might have to borrow an old windows xp laptop from someone.....I think there's an ancient dell knocking around my parents house somewhere so I might rob that and see if I can get any info on it.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Microsoft has a lot to answer for ditching xp imo, all are laptop based diagnostic software runs on xp..............ffs they couldn't even put a start button on win 8 lol............soz couldn't help with diagram

maybe start another thread asking some one with wis for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts