Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As the subject indicates, my newly acquired and otherwise great 2.3 Anniversary has a bit of a creak problem.

It pretty much creaks everywhere, probably not helped by the really stiff suspension, but the two main creaks are as follows:

- drivers side of dash, really "woody" creak, present pretty much all the time, especially bad on roundabouts for some reason.... Could this be the walnut dash rubbing against something? If so, how easy is it to remove the dash and lubricate or otherwise cure it?

- boot area of cabin, more of a squeaky sound. Don't think it's the suspension, definitely sounds like it's coming from the inside. I've tried to remove the parcel shelf, which didn't help, so that's not the culprit.

Any ideas on any of the above? I know this probably sounds faintly ridiculous, but it's getting rrrreally annoying

Apart from that the car is great - the way it shifts on full boost is still very
, although it's hard to use in London!

Thanks very much indeed for any help, it'll be very much appreciated and possibly help save my sanity.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
one way is to stop the chassis flexing
a good way is to fit a strut brace ...it really tightens things up at the front (and a bit at the back as well I am sure)
the difference is amazing and a real bargain available from your friendly dealer (elkparts) who have them in stock in a wide veriaty of colour
or more expensively with a nice sticker from Abbott..

·
Registered
382 Posts
the rear hatch squeak is a commom problem, that is easily put right. you need to tighten the hatch down, looking to see if is out of allignment on either side. you need to remove the strip of plastic in the boot, that covers the latch, and make your adjustments.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick (that's a distinct possibility) but with your suggestion to tighten the hatch down, do you mean tighten where it latches, i.e. on the boot sill effectively, and not where the hatch is hung?

That's what it sounds like, but if I've got this wrong please do let me know Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had a squeeky parcel shelf on mine - I think there had been polish put on the plastic 'runners' that the shelf sits on and the whole lot used to drive me insane.
Solution was to run a length of sticky back black velcro (hook side) on the area where the shelf rests. This holds the shelf tight and removes the squeeking.
(Before you do this, take the shelf out and go for a drive to see if the noise disappears)

Dash creaking at the front... allegedly a front strut brace can help here. I also think the quasimotors site has a dash de-squeeking section too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There are also a couple of rubber supports either side of the hatch aperture that the hatch itself sits on - there are corresponding pads on the underside of the hatch itself. These rubber supports can be adjusted up and down by the means of a 13mm locking nut inside the rear panels above the light units - you need to pull back the trim to access them. They also move sidewards so make sure that they are lined up with the pads.

I adjusted mine at the weekend as my hatch was squeaking for Britain! My hatch is now level with the tops of the rear panels and completely silent...and hopefully still watertight!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Aeroboy:
[qb]There are also a couple of rubber supports either side of the hatch aperture that the hatch itself sits on - there are corresponding pads on the underside of the hatch itself. These rubber supports can be adjusted up and down by the means of a 13mm locking nut inside the rear panels above the light units - you need to pull back the trim to access them. They also move sidewards so make sure that they are lined up with the pads. [/qb][/b]
Just be aware that adjusting these too far may lead to the hatch coming down on the bumper and chipping paint - so be careful when closing hatch for the first time after adjusting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,

Just an quick update on the creaking - I've managed to cure the tailgate creak nearly 100% by simply spraying some rubber lubricant on the stoppers. Didn't need to adjust them after all, not this time anyway, but I would have never thought of them if you all hadn't mentioned it, so thanks very much

Driver's side dash creak is still as strong as ever. I can make it appear completely regularly by swerving gently from side to side, so chassis flex seems the likely culprit here. A strut brace would probably sort it, but at £146 it's an expensive way to fix the problem, notwithstanding the other advantages it will have. On the other hand, taking the dash apart is not something I fancy doing either.....

Once again, thanks for the tips on the tailgate, that's worked a treat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts