Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entry level 1.8i owner here :) but keen DIYer and enthusiast for the marque (even a base level car is superior to a lot of comparable cars)

Anyway, the MOTis approaching early next month - I've started to hear a creaking coming from the front nearside corner, only audible at low speeds, but which comes on when the brakes are applied. I checked the front pads last month both sides and there is loads of wear left in them. All of the suspension components looked in good order and the CV boots were good. The car had front springs at the last MOT, so I'm wondering what this creaking is likely to be -anyone got any ideas? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Mileage? Might help give you pointers. If the car is on high miles, there's stuff like drop links, top mount bearings and struts to consider too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the swift reply Caddyman,

53,000 on an 04 plate. full service history and recent money spent on iit (springs, tyres) before I acquired the car.

I had issues with creaky drop links before on my old volvo 480s. I'd be glad if it was something like that, as it is a relatively cheap and easy fix. I don't have a repair manual yet for the car - is there a good one that you would recommend (other than the obvious Haynes)?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thanks for the swift reply Caddyman,

53,000 on an 04 plate. full service history and recent money spent on iit (springs, tyres) before I acquired the car.

I had issues with creaky drop links before on my old volvo 480s. I'd be glad if it was something like that, as it is a relatively cheap and easy fix. I don't have a repair manual yet for the car - is there a good one that you would recommend (other than the obvious Haynes)?

Cheers
I'm afraid I don't have anything other than a Haynes Manual to refer to for my own car as it is the closest thing I can buy that deals with what I have. I'm sure the rest of the guys will be able to recommend something else although in the past I have bought CD manuals for previous cars I've owned and they have been worth their weight in gold.

As for drop links, appreciating that The Zohan only does 6k a year, if you're doing more, get some Meyle Heavy duty drop links. I bought mine from here:

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1720983

Free delivery too as the parts come to just over 30 quid.

Edit: Lol! would have helped if I'd clicked on the zohan's link and I wouldn't have repeated what he has recommended! I consider myself slapped!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My front passenger side was groaning/creaking when turning at low speed/standstill. Changed the strut bearings and sorted this problem. If you do go down this route - make sure you have 3 replacement bolts (each side) when putting the strut back on - all six of mine sheared off when removing them....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My front passenger side was groaning/creaking when turning at low speed/standstill. Changed the strut bearings and sorted this problem. If you do go down this route - make sure you have 3 replacement bolts (each side) when putting the strut back on - all six of mine sheared off when removing them....
I consider myself lucky on that score, my bolts all came out fine, but then again, I wasn't expecting to replace the struts complete at just 30k (front offside strut was knackered). As it was, I replaced both struts, springs, top mount bearings and top mounts (I got brand new genuine top mounts for 20 quid each with new bolts), so if mmcare00 does need replacement top mounts with only 30k under their belt with good securing bolts, I have some for sale lol!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have anything other than a Haynes Manual to refer to for my own car as it is the closest thing I can buy that deals with what I have. I'm sure the rest of the guys will be able to recommend something else although in the past I have bought CD manuals for previous cars I've owned and they have been worth their weight in gold.

As for drop links, appreciating that The Zohan only does 6k a year, if you're doing more, get some Meyle Heavy duty drop links. I bought mine from here:

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1720983

Free delivery too as the parts come to just over 30 quid.

Edit: Lol! would have helped if I'd clicked on the zohan's link and I wouldn't have repeated what he has recommended! I consider myself slapped!
Thanks for revealing the stuff that worked for you mate :) same issue here and looking to solve it ASAP before the summer arrives.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thanks for revealing the stuff that worked for you mate :) same issue here and looking to solve it ASAP before the summer arrives.
Wow! That thread was a blast from the past.

If you're handy with a spanner, swapping out the front struts is pretty straightforward. It's also a relatively cheap job if doing it yourself. Just a quick search on EBay found this lot at a great price, everything you'd need for £230:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts