Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought my first Saab which is a 1994 CS with 146,00 kilometers on the speedo. The car looks very original and particularly clean inside.

However, driving the car is disappointing mainly due to persistent creaking sounds from the dash area which is even apparent at very slow speeds. The noise is not metallic and seems to originate from plastic components. I was able to reduce the noise slightly by loosening the screws holding the housing around the steering column.

Australian cars are subject to extreme heat in summer and I am wondering whether the dash board (fascia) has lost its flexibility and thus is creaking.

I know it is very difficult to diagnose these types of problems from afar but I would be interested in hearing from any person who has had a similar problem.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Originally posted by kiamaian:
[qb]I was able to reduce the noise slightly by loosening the screws holding the  housing around the steering column.
[/qb][/b]
I have the exact same creak as you!
It's the only one in the whole car. Although I have isolated it to the steering column shroud (top) rubbing against the dashboard, I have not yet had a chance to fix it.

You will find it creaks everytime a steering wheel goes over a bump etc as the vibration is transmitted thru the stering column. I drove with the wieght of my arms attempting to bend the steering column downwards and this solved the issue although twas a tad strenuous!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recently tracked down a slight squeak to the central air vent - if I pressed it with my finger while driving, the squeak went away!

The grille part seemed to be rubbing on the surround, so a bit of bathroom-sealant-type-gloop might do the job, although I haven't tried yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.