Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, no, they've reduced it by £1750 to £8750! I want it
All I need to do is raid my piggybank, find another £1200 for the insurance, get four wheel clamps to stop the alloys from being nicked & I'll be sorted. Yes, I know it's fun to do upgrading bit by bit, but this would be fun too!

It must be pushing 350bhp with the water injection and a full set of Abbott upgrades. Bargain as all the work has been recently done.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
**350BHP**

Don't sink the boot in first or 2nd gear with anything over 250BHP or you won't go anywhere!

Just burn rubber and look stupid at the traffic lights, especially if someone rear ends you!

But nice though, once cruising. Especially hwen a clean pair of heals needs to be shown!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Paul D:
[qb]Don't sink the boot in first or 2nd gear with anything over 250BHP or you  won't go anywhere![/qb][/b]
Unless you have modified suspension and grippy tyres. My Aero has been measured at 300hp on two separate occasions, and I can stil sink the boot in second gear in the dry without wheelspin. I don't even get any torque steer.

I agree about first gear, though. However, you can spin the wheels easily in first gear even in a standard Aero (and it's not hard in my 2.0LPT either).

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh noooooo.... Giles is prepared to take a deposit. Help, I don't know what to do!

My insurance is currently £800pa as I park on street in Brighton. With this monster, it would be at least £1200 (Hill House Hammond performance unit - cheapest quote I got last time around), probably more. I couldn't possibly have two Aero's - I've got the Elise anyway & I have just ordered lots of bits for mine. Anyway, I got a Saab due to its inconspicuous looks, but this one ain't inconspicuous with 18" Kahns and an Ali dash!

Someone, please talk me out of it. Tell me how harsh the ride would be, how much extra fuel it'd cost, how many tyres it would rip through, that it would be far more of a thiefs target etc, etc!

Help, I am addicted to Saabs!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could only find a small handful that would accept such extensive mods, so I doubt Elephant would touch it if you were honest with them. Tesco's quoted me £3800 on a similar, if slightly less powerful Abbott moded Aero. Brighton isn't the best postcode for insurance, though, but probably better than London. I imagine the best way to insure a beast such as this is to find classic insurance, assuming you want to limit the mileage and garage it, etc. My Elise is less than £500 pa with all mods declared.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re Bill's surprise comment, it does make me wonder why they have yet to sell it as I reckon with all this kit recently fited on it, the car is damned fine value. Giles thinks it is one of the finest ones he has come across, but then I guess he would say that!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the car is a modified 95 9000 aero with 92k on the clock
in the trade this would only be worth the thick end of 5k...
ok it looks nice and we know how much these mods are worth ...but to the trade its a 95 modded aero with lots o miles
so looking at it this way its not good value
at over 10 k it was ridiculous...
(i still want it tho'...(apart from that orrible dash...) I would give him 6k for it ...)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
. My Elise is less than £500 pa with all mods declared.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
Well that's because given its kerb weight, it will only do half the damage to third parties involved, compared with an Aero traveling at the same speed...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll bear the insurance tips in mind. Yep, that Aero is only worth £5k in the trade, but the current owner must have spent at least £10k on mods this year - to my mind, that is pretty good value. He is changing for a brand new 93 Aero, which to me seems a little odd. Have to say that if this car was on sale when I was shopping for mine in March, I would have bought it without hesitation - I had missed a similar K reg 85K miler with a £2k stereo that was up for £6500.

Eric, normal insurance on Elise's is pretty silly - often over a grand, sometimes two. Classic insurance is the way to go on lightly used, garaged cars, especially if you have claims/points, as they ignore them in the risk assessment. I paid £487 with four other named drivers & I have 6 points and 2 claims (thefts). Still can't quite believe that I pay over £800 for the Saab, but it is parked on the street and goes under the normal insurance rules.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Jez,
Are you sure the previous owner 'bought' all those mods....???
Some 18 months ago, when I had some work done by Abbotts on my Aero, Giles told me that they were looking to buy good Aero's and then whack on all the stuff from the Abbott catalogue, then put the car up for sale. Which would means the value of parts is cost only to Abbotts, so probably on a third of the total list price....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts