Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking the AA NCAP Crash Test result site for a car my son was interested in I noted there were also results for the GM900 & the 9-3. The 900 managed just 2 stars! with the 9-3 in with 4, plus criticism. No mention of the 9000, guess it was too old, out of interest does anyone out there no what the 9000 scored? Many years ago a classic 900 wrote off my company car, the saab was then driven off to get its wing fixed! On that count I would expect the classic 900 to have scored better then it's replacement or was my company vehicle made of tinfoil?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The crash test check list includes things that weren't around when older cars were built, like two front air bags.

I believe that the marking only includes items on their list and not other safety items. If I remember the report correctly the 9-5 got 4 stars in the NCAP but didn't get any credit for the side air bags because side air bags aren't on the NCAP list yet!!

If you are going to buy an older car, the best you can do is get one that was safer than the rest when it was built.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I'm sure that the 9000 is one of the safest older cars there is - air bags or not.

There are other surveys carried out in Scandinavia by insurance companies on real life crashes, in which all Saabs always score very highly. I'm sure the 9-3 was one of safest cars surveyed.

I'd prefer to believe real world statistics, as opposed to cars designed to do well in controlled tests. Saabs do well in NCAP too - but some do better. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Saab have some safety devices which aren't taken into account in marking for the NCAP tests. I'm guessing wildly here, so please correct me if this is poo

Don't forget the all important moose tests, to test the strength of the front pillars. Suppose in the US and UK there aren't too many mooses on the raods, though good for slapping into the bag of lorries.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
When EuroNCAP announce a new bunch of test results, Saab normally puts out a press release which essentially says "yeah, nice to score high in EuroNCAP but we don't pay that much attention becuase we are too busy studying real life crash data".

That's the gist of it, anyway.

For real life crash data including 9000 and classic 900, take a look a www.folksam.se

/john

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments, there has been a Saab of some sort in the family for over 28 years. The odd little shunt has tended to confirm my belief in their better then average strength & build quality. But I'm preaching to the converted here.
Your comments reminded me of a reliability test some years ago where one model (not a Saab) was slammed because the internal mirror fell off. OK, poor design or whatever but that hardly makes the car unreliable.

·
Registered
435 Posts
MMMMMMMMM........thought that website was grest until I saw that they give top marks to the Chrysler Voyager - didn't that get 1 star in the NCAP. You'll get more protection wearing a condom.

Lets face it Saab 9000's are Swedish therefore safe. The 900 isn't so good cos underneath its a Cavalier

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
EuroNCAP results are contrived as they are based on "standard tests". Folksam data is from real-life accident data. If the results are different, which do you use to decide? The lab tests or the real life crash data?

You decide.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Foksam site is interesting, particularly because it supports our bias, but I would be really interested in seeing the origin of their data. It may be from their own records, and I then wonder how they score severity and safety.

An important factor must be driver attitude (where a MPV may have a load of children, for example), and distance from the dash and sides (which favours the sheer size of the 9000). Maintenance, money spent on tyres (student banger vs exec office) and so on might be other issues. I'd also focus on the speed at which the crash tests are conducted, as a car that is destroyed in controlled fashion at 100km/h, may be the rigid coffin at 60km/h, and I guess this means assessing the preponderant road speeds in your part of the world. NCAP doesn't (as far as I'm aware) assess the car's attributes before the crash occurs, and here I think of road-holding, rear-end breakaway, ABS etc. Also, NCAP can only "consume" so many new cars, so there IS a consideration for economy of test crashes!

Like all tests, I think one should read the info with insight, and not focus too much on the "score" and ranking.

Even with the best score in the world, if you hit something solid at 200km/h, your in the obits!

·
Registered
507 Posts
kevin, SAAB used to sell the "b uilt in safety" of the cars. This included things like good ventilation , driver comfort , good seats etc. The theory being that a comfortable driver is a safer one There is no blind spot in the door mirrors, the old 900 had side impact bars in the ddors long before Volvo started on about them. The 9000 has explosive seat belt tensioners and I'm sure a lot of other passive safety features. My own theory is that if a Saab hits a Mondeo I'd rather be in the Saab.

·
Registered
507 Posts
kevin, SAAB used to sell the "b uilt in safety" of the cars. This included things like good ventilation , driver comfort , good seats etc. The theory being that a comfortable driver is a safer one There is no blind spot in the door mirrors, the old 900 had side impact bars in the ddors long before Volvo started on about them. The 9000 has explosive seat belt tensioners and I'm sure a lot of other passive safety features. My own theory is that if a Saab hits a Mondeo I'd rather be in the Saab.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
 When EuroNCAP announce a new bunch of test results, Saab normally puts out a press release which essentially says "yeah, nice to score high in EuroNCAP but we don't pay that much attention becuase we are too busy studying real life crash data".[/b]
Agreed!

Saab state that they build cars to save lives and reduce injury, not just to pass theoretical NCAP (or other) tests.

I recollect a statement from Saab regarding 9000's some 5 years ago, whereby based on actual Folksam statistics they were 30% safer than there nearest rival (V*l*vo)!!! And alot safer than the rest of the field!

Saab actually bought up lots of owner crashed Saabs' (including 9000's), and studied the actual wreckage, before implementing design improvements for safety. This was in the days when government crash testing required simulated 100% head on crash testing with two vehicles. Saab were doing something like a 30% (i.e. ofset) head on crash test, as this was what happened in 'most' nose to nose crashes! (Of course, in such caes, most drivers were trying to avoid the other vehicle, rather than wipe themselves out!! )
Hence, Saab designed cars for real safety, not simply crash test statistics. And one BIG reason why my family of 5 (all in) travel by SAAB 9000!! Bravo!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi John

On re-reading I see that I did not clearly separate line of thought between paragraph 1 & 2!!

I agree; Folksam appears to be an insurance company. What I meant to say, is that I'd like to see what they regard as good or poor outcomes, and what indices they use to score "safety". These may be nothing more than cost of payouts of insurance claims.

NCAP crashes one car against another, and scores the damage in a predetermined manner. How the damage scores, makes for interesting reading; at least I know whether my right or left leg is at greater risk in a 30% head on collision!!

I have no doubt I'd rather be in my Swedish tank.

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.