Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just been to look at a 9000 CSE 2.3 FPT for my friend. The Guy only wants 1500 for it and it has done 80K FSSH. Its on an N playte.

Now the reason is cheap is cos it has had a front end smash. This has all been repaired by a coach work company (all receipts / reports etc), but he did not go through a insurance company he went private.

Now all is OK except the air bags. The Steering wheel has been replaced with a Momo aftermarket one, and the passanger airbag has just not been replaced. Its all been removed from the dash and the cover has been put back on (there is a slight creese in the cover)

So what do you think, steer clear or not??

Also, if he was to go for it, could you get a glovebox insert or anything to go where the airbag went.

P.S The car drives superb.

·
Registered
865 Posts
tread carelully with this one. why did he go private on the repairs,why not replace airbags,why is it so cheap/it must have cost 1500 to repair/could it be a stolen recovered? then again it could be the bargain of the year. i think you will need to take a good mechanic to look at it and then take it from there.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He said he went Private cos the insurance said that they would not repair it, they would right it off.. It is listed as a HPI catagorey C..

Body panel wise they all line up and from the surface you just cant tell its been repaired, o and its had a full respray too as the guy said that he didnt want just the front of the car with fresh paint.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I know what you mean. But it is definatly all there, and all the repair reports from the coach work company to prove. He did say he knows the guys in the coach work company as they have done cars for him before (may be he likes crashing!!) so I guess he got it cheap. It even says on the report that it was genuine saab paint, and it has the saab part receipt to prove with that colour code...

As I say the only things that were removed was the airbags. Driver side not a problem as the steering wheel was replaced, but passanger side still looks a bit untidy cos of the creesed cover etc (the passanger air bag has been completely removed).

O and he said that the air con needs gassing as this was never done on the repair..

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
It is listed as a HPI catagorey C..
 [/b]
If he went private and did not claim then the insurance company would not list the car So if it has been listed as a Cat C loss then a claim must have been made!

So in this case the car might have been bought back by the original owner,but I doubt this as many ins co's will not sell back to the claimant nowadays due to multiple fraudulant claims
Or the car has been bought from a salvage yard and repaired (Can be very dodgy).

So if you ask me steer clear

·
Registered
454 Posts
Having just bought my first SAAB after looking at quite a few I would walk away from this one, the receipts could be all dud as he may have got his friend to write them out, if you ever come across a car and you need to ask 'Should I' it tells you something already. If it it doesn't feel right walk, cars are like buses, there is always another on the way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ant - Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Despite what you say, I agree - all that expenditure doesn't match up with the price of £1500.

Would you spend all the amount the works that have apparently been done to this car would cost, just to give it away for £1500 ?

I'm also a bit concerned re the airbags. If they've gone off to the extent that drivers steering wheel needs replacing with a momo (Looks ?) and the passenger side bag area is still a mess then I'd say not only is it not worth £1500 but there will be better cars about for less. Have you been underneath/checked out chassis not bent ? (if it's had a shunt setting off both airbags this is likely - I know this from experience of writing off my first 9k CSE).

The clue's in the price and the fact that the place where most of the works were done was a mate of his with experience of repairing this guy's last car - he doesn't sound too careful.

And 80k on a 7 year old car is pretty light unless there's a FSSH/known independant history/lots of previous MOT's to back this mileage.

I'd wait for something else, sorry to be a bit negative.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no need to be sorry for the feedback mate, thats what I am looking for, an honest oppinion. The milage I think is gueniune as it has all old MOT's and Saab dealer history.

Yeah the steering wheel was replaced with a momo (it is black leather with a wood top and bottom, proper saab look, like the anniversary addition one I think). As for the passanger airbag, the airbag and mechanism has all been taken away hence just the baige cover, which is why i was wondering if a golve box can be bought / installed???

As for the chasis, yeah I guess that would need to be checked, the crash estimate that the guy had did say that there was no damage to the chasis, but as you say, for the air nags to go off, would it need a hefty impact?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, good if the mileage is accurate...

Can't say about the airbag/glovebox swap but suspect it'd be possible.

You don't need to hit front end on that fast to set off the bags - a very low speed will do it. I understand less than 10 mph will do in the right circumstances as opposed to the exactly 70 MPH I was doing when a blowout on the motorway caused much the same type of result.... , (eg front on into the barrier, loss of wheel, exploding airbags etc).

But any impact (even a low speed) on the front end enough to set off the bags should make you very suspicious about chassis damage.

Point is, if your friend ever tries to sell this car on to anyone else it'll be well obvious there's some doubt about it's history, so your mate'll not have much luck unless the buying punter is clueless.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Mark R:
[qb]Well, good if the mileage is accurate...

Can't say about the airbag/glovebox swap but suspect it'd be possible.

Point is, if your friend ever tries to sell this car on to anyone else it'll be well obvious there's some doubt about it's history, so your mate'll not have much luck unless the buying punter is clueless. [/qb][/b]
Thats it mate, and as you say, if he does buy it, he will have to be prepaired not to be able to sell it.. The guy said he will be happy for it to be inspected so who knows.

Well thanks for all your input, I will pass on and its up to him at the end of the day hay...

Thanks Guys..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi all

I got talking to the guy who runs Salvo spares in Nottingham one day and he reckoned that the main reason most motors were written off these days is not due to the cost of the body work etc but due to the cost of airbag replacement which can be as much as £1k each!!!Perhaps this explains them being missing.

Also I'd be careful about anything that has not got the standard safety devices fitted. I'm sure it would be easy for an insurance company to wriggle out of a personal injury claim in the event of an accident if the car had no airbags.

Does it show any odd tyre wear patters that may indicate chassis misalignment. You could make it a condition of sale that it is laserlined, for example.
HTH
Ant

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Anthony B:
[qb]Hi all

I got talking to the guy who runs Salvo spares in Nottingham one day and he reckoned that the main reason most motors were written off these days is not due to the cost of the body work etc but due to the cost of airbag replacement which can be as much as £1k each!!!Perhaps this explains them being missing.

Also I'd be careful about anything that has not got the standard safety devices fitted. I'm sure it would be easy for an insurance company to wriggle out of a personal injury claim in the event of an accident if the car had no airbags.

Does it show any odd tyre wear patters that may indicate chassis misalignment. You could make it a condition of sale that it is laserlined, for example.
HTH
Ant [/qb][/b]
The tyres are fairly worn but all even (fronts slightly worn more than thae rears) but no 'extra' wear on the inner or outer edge or anything.. I mate is going to get an AA inspection this morning... I will let you guys know what he says..

thanks for all your help on this..

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I wouldn't touch this one with a bargepole (and my Saab's also a rebuild, so I'm not against them in principle).

However, if you insist, phone around some insurers. I suspect this is going to be difficult to insure, and that insurers will require an engineer's inspection (so, add the cost of that to the price).

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The guy from the AA has been and inspected:

He reported that enging wise it was mechanically sound and shows all the signs of service history.
Bodywork he said there is no problems with rust or corrosion. Body work is in very good condition (well itr should be if its had a re-spray).
Underneath he said there is no problems and no rust or corrosion. Only thing he noted is a slight ruston the joint of the center silencer so may need replacing.
He noted the passanger and driver airbags had been removed.
He reported that the car had had a front end knock at some point but there is no sign of bad repair. Aparently my mate asked him to vigrously check the front of the car because of this, he did and he said that there is no problem with the repair and it has obviously been done professionally.??
He noted the air con doesnt work, he tested the compressor which does not spin when you turn on the ACC, but I guess that is because it was never re-gassed after the front ender..

Well after all this he has bought it.... Whether he has done the right thing or not, who knows, but I guess that is up to him... He knows what he is taking on...

thanks for all your help on this one.. Anthony

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know this thread is just about dead, but I'd like to get one last word in for Anthonys' friend. It takes very little impact on the front for the airbags to go off. The most expensive part to consider when the insurance companies determine whether a car is to be totalled, or not, is the SRS system. Once the bags go off, everything should be replaced: the SRS box, the bags, the sensor in the steering wheel, the seat belt tensioners, etc. Also, I've bought 9000's from the salvage yard that were hit high in the front, above the bumper. The sheet metal damage was significant: hood, radiator support, fenders, grille, radiator, condenser, IC, etc. But because the hit came above the bumper, very little, if any structural damage occured. I've seen 9000's that were totalled from a front-end collision,above the bumper, yet the wheel housing and side member assembly were still fine. But when the air-bags go off, the insurance adjusters will have no choice - everyone knows what Saab charges for these items My local salvage yard used to give great deals on these items, if one bought the repairable car from them - $600 (~£400) for the SRS box, airbags, seat-belt ballistics, etc. Anyway, what I'm trying to say here Anthony, if one knows where and what to look at, a 9000 that has been in an accident could be an easy-fix and a great deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts