Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help. I have a 2004 vert and I had an error to do with the crankshaft sensor, but the car did run. I changed it and now the car wont start, just turns over as if its not connected. Any ideas? Could it be the new sensor? Cant refit the old one as i mangled it trying to get it out as it was stuck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone help. I have a 2004 vert and I had an error to do with the crankshaft sensor, but the car did run. I changed it and now the car wont start, just turns over as if its not connected. Any ideas? Could it be the new sensor? Cant refit the old one as i mangled it trying to get it out as it was stuck.
You need to confirm you did not damage any wiring from the sensor to the next junction point connector. There is a connection point where the 2 wires of the sensor connect to a cable , then this cable is routed to the CPU, the Crankshaft sensor is a VRS type sensor, meaning it's a Variable Reluctant Sensor as opposed to a Hall Effect sensor. This VRS generates a AC VOLTAGE as the it's sensing the rotation of the engine. Use a voltmeter to confirm this signal is getting to the CPU. The signal is approximately an 25 volt AC signal, don't remember if it's a milivolts or just 25 volts AC, this signal amplitude and frequency is proportional to the RPM of the engine as its rotating.

Good luck, the information I provided is in reference to 2001 Saab 93 turbo, your setup should be very similar.

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will see if i can get a volt meter. Im now getting a p0725 abd p0337 errors and its saying there is a gearbox fault and traction control fault. Could it be a duff sensor

·
Administrator
5,086 Posts
p0725 is an issue with cps..what make was the.new one..

P0725: Incorrect engine speed signal from engine management system for more than 4 seconds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a lemark. But after i finally got the old one out the oem codes didnt match but only notice after i had fitted it. The one i removed was part 0261210229. The lemark was compatible with the bosch 12789959. Even though the model years are the same I am guessing the one I got was for a different engine. I nearly always have that issue, I have the one car with more unique parts. I have ordered the bosch part so will see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
9 Posts
Will see if i can get a volt meter. Im now getting a p0725 abd p0337 errors and its saying there is a gearbox fault and traction control fault. Could it be a duff sensor
A traction control problem, could be result of a bad wheel sensor. You jjack the car up all 4 wheels of the ground. Once again this type of sensor monitors speed of rotation of a component, in this case the speed of the wheel. Therefore, it is either a VRS sensor or a Hall Effect speed sensor. Each sensor is diagnosed differently, you may need a scope to do this check, a VOM meter may not respond quickly enough to read the sensor output signal. What you want to do for the front wheels , engine in idle the signal output of both sensors should be Very similar, engine in drive MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE VEHICLE IS JACKED SAFELY. For the rear wheels you can rotate with your hands and coampare the output signals of both wheels, once again they should both be similar. Sometimes the detection area of the wheel sensors get dirty and the speed signal output is inconsistent because the sensors view area is blocked by dirt, etc. Also, the Hall Effect type sensor has 3 wires, power, ground and signal. Make sure the power and ground signals are within specs. Don't know about your gear BOX fault error, not familiar with that function.

What is a "Duff sensor"

Good Luck

Pete

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
So you have an automatic, and you have the cog wheel on your sid ?
I don't know what code reader you are using , but you should be able to extract a code from the transmission module.
Traction control fault , same again read codes .the only way to pin point what wheel is at fault .
Also ABS light on , and it leads to N/S/R wheel speed sensor then check wiring where it goes into main loom all along its length .
There have been cases of a break in the loom leading to N/S/R wheel speed sensor .
As it's held up by clips/ jip ties .
As before codes first .
If it's showing a fault it means there's a code to identify Aera .
But all depends on what fault code reader you are using .
Report back when done .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks people. I had none of the errors until I took out the old cranckshaft sensor. I am just waiting on the bosch one to see if i can get it started. I tried putting the old one back in but no luck but I had damaged the contact points of the old one. It was one of those jobs that needed doing but wasnt urgent wish i had left it alone but I just dont like errors messages. Code reader is an odb2 reader. Used it on a number of cars to get codes from. And "duff" is broken or knackared.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update. The correct bosch sensor turned up after some messing got it in and car fired straight up. After clearing the engine codes and restarting the car all errors gone. No gearbox fault not traction control fault no crankshaft fault. A huge sigh of relief.

·
Administrator
5,086 Posts
I forgot too say when you remove the old one make sure the rubber o ring comes out also..Glad it's all sorted..

just backs ups the old adage,buy cheap pay twice..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, partly my fault as didnt know there was 2 different sensors for that age of car. But still I got the bosch one for 25 quid instead of 105 from euro car parts so still shop around. Cant believe how many strange errors come from a broken crankshaft sensor. But happy its all running now. Treated her to a was and wax. Needs some body work tlc but my first saab and love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts