Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am manoevering in my P reg 9000 and I turn the steering right to its limits in either direction it makes loud cracking noises... is this something to be worried about (like should I take it back to the dealer and get a warranty repair done on it?) or is it just that I dont usally go right to full lock and the rack is sticky?

Steve

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm not sure that it should really make 'cracking noises', but you should never hold the steering on full lock with PAS. It makes me cringe when I hear some of the old dears in the supermarket car park who seem to love the sound of the pressure relief valve blowing off

It's there as a safety device and can be damaged if operated too often!
Pete.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I had a similar problem on a car a few years ago. It turned out to be the rack fixing bolts. There was a very slight slackness in them presumably caused by elongation since the locking tabs were still in place. The forces produced by the rack must have been great because we thought it was the rack and checked it, but couldn't see any movement when levering by hand. Only found it when in desperation we were going to take the rack off and found the bolts would take about 1 flat of tightening. We tightened them all and tried it and the noise went away.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi All,

I have exactly the same problem, and I've been trying to track down the source for ages.

I've already replaced all of the shocks, springs and bushes so the steering rack is pretty much the only thing left.

I can't see any play there, so I assumed it was something internal. Maybe I need to try harder!

Just in case I do buy a new rack - does anyone know if the carllson has a quick rack (less turns lock to lock)?????

Thanks
Gadgeteer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts