Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A large crack has developed in my windscreen (running in a perfect arc from the passenger side to the drivers side).

My question is this:

The windscreen is tinted and also has a wide black surround with an even wider black strip at the top in front of the rear view mirror.(Approximately 2" wide ) Is there a reason for this black section ?

I only ask just in case the insurers will only pay for a cheaper replacement windscreen?

I am currently insured by Direct Line whose recommended dealers are either Autoglass or Autowindscreens.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The wide black strip above the rear view mirror is to stop you getting blinded by low sun- clever eh? Or maybe it's just that the car came out of a northerly country

Anyway, what you describe sounds like a completely stock 9000 windscreen. It comes with the tint and strips "fitted as standard" so to speak, so you should have no problems with a replacement.

The only issue I know of is that some newer Saabs have heat reflecting glass, and some cheapo suppliers don't have this. However, I don't think the 9000 had this, although I may be wrong. Still, if you quote the year and it was standard, then it should be replaced with like.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.
I should have mentioned that in addition to the tinted strip at the top, it also has this blacker section behind the rear view mirror, about 2" deeper. But as you say, providing I ask like for like I should be okay

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
RAC autowindscreens fitted a pilkington front screen in my 9000... looks identical to the one that it replaced - black bands, tinting and all. Just hope that they actually have the rubber trim in stock!

Steve

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Rac use a stock seal while Autoglass use a Saab approved seal,Autoglass recently replaced my screen and the result is far better than the previos RAC autoscreen job,and I get a employee discount with RAC.The replacement was identical to the old screen.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's much better if your insurer will let you fit a genuine Saab screen - certainly worth asking as they come with all the right trim (not the nasty universal type that can cause wind noise) and the screen I had fitted to my Aero in Sept was a heat absorbing one.

Make sure that whoever replaces your screen doesn't damage the paint in the process! This happen to mine when the previous owner had a Pilkington screen + universal trim fitted. This resulted in a rust removal roof and A post paint job a couple of months ago and hence the new Saab screen.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Autoglass replaced the windscreen on my CSe last year and they used a heat-absorbing screen with the gap in place for the VIN number but he used the old seal? there has been no problem with the screen but the guy had to shatter my screen to get it out! I found glass everywhere even though he attempted to vacuum out the worse of it - he also depressed the red led for the alarm so it is now flush with the vent rather than being proud.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]The only issue I know of is that some newer Saabs have heat reflecting glass,  [/qb][/b]
Mark - I am confused by this (what's new?) The manual specifically states that the Saab glass on newer models is heat absorbing, whereas I would have thought it should be heat reflective as you suggest and as IIRC is fitted to Renaults. So what is the benefit of absorbing that heat? Perhaps this is a new topic?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Well... the basic idea of it, whichever way is to prevent the infrared radiation from getting "in" and heating up the occupants.

Reflecting it is the best option, but I think what Saab do is use, as you say, heat absorbing glass. The glass absorbs the infra red radiation, warms up, but is cooled by the natural exterior airflow of the car. Thus is doesn't help to keep temps down quite so well when the car is stationary.

So, I was wrong and you were right. There you go. Frame that one

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The only issue I know of is that some newer Saabs have heat reflecting glass, and some cheapo suppliers don't have this. However, I don't think the 9000 had this, although I may be wrong. Still, if you quote the year and it was standard, then it should be replaced with like.[/b]
9000's with ACC got heat absorbing glass from 1994 on ( to help the Aircon out in summer....)

I believe the glass is seeded with iron particles.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I know it wasn't /john, perhaps I should have included a

I agree- in an ideal world the glass would reflect rather than absorb the infra red, but Saab chose not to do it that way. Both have the same ultimate effect once the car is moving of reducing the infrared radiation reaching the interior surfaces and occupants to heat them up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts