Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While examining my dads Aero to find out why his turbo wasn't working (operating rod disconnected) I noticed he has a crack across the exhaust manifold just above the turbo flange, part of which is blowing exhaust gases.

Is this a common problem, & what is the suggested fix

a, In situ welding (cast iron ?)
b, chemical / liquid metal
c, remove & replace manifold
d, something else ?

The car only gets 3000 miles p.a use now, a bit less than the 50k it used to in my hands

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
my manifold was cracked in about 6 places when we rebuilt it ..
We put on a second hand one...
I would replace it myself (new ones are horribly expensive ..£600 !!iirc )

but watch out for the manifold studs...!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean about the manifold studs Ylee, I just looked at the manifold / turbo assembly and though "I really don't want to get involved in that lot"......envisioning hours or days with penetrating oil, stud extractors, grinding wheels etc. I bet you had the engine out when you did yours too

We might know someone who can weld cast iron in situ. If not I think we'll give the chemical metal a go, after all it's only £5 wasted if it doesn't work.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I got some-one else to do it !!!

Do not even waste your money on chemical metal
all you will succeed is making a horrible smell as it burns away !!It does not have the heat resistance required for an exhaust manifold.

I would try the welding as a stop gap

Altho mine was severely cracked I never noticed and must have had minimal leakage
I would guess that as long as the crack is not spreading you might be ok (but have a second hand one ready to go if it goes !!)

good luck !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.