Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, while cleaning up the ABS sensors today i noticed a new rattle while th car was idle. it sounded like a heat shield. upon furture inspection i found the bracket that attaches to the top of the catalytic was beginning to crack where the two bolts attach to the engine block.

i also noticed where there should be the "arm" where the rubber exhaust hangers attach to the pipe is missing, and thus no rubber hangers. so to much stress whas placed on the bracket arm. i devised a system with a chain (to take the heat) and attached to the rubber hanger arms to take the weight of the exhaust system. this then caused the bracket to crack straight through when i cinched up the exhaust an inch or so.

my question(s): anyone delt with this bracket, as it looks really hard to get at those bolts w/o removing the exhaust (not an option). the bracket will most likly vibrate again, so i'm tempted to cut it of and let the chain at the hanger location take the weight. any thoughts?

please see link or location on a image. the circled area is where all this took place, although the image oes not show the bracket that cracked (that attaches to the engine block).

thanks to eeuroparts for the diagram

http://www.carboncow.com/saab/exhaust.gif

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It seems to be a common occurence for these brackets to break. I had to replace the flexy section on my car last year and found that the bracket had broken (Maybe that's why the flexy failed). I tried, as a temporary arrangement, a similar set up to the one you have done but found that I got vibration through the pedals which wasn't too good.
The bracket seems to be made from a very brittle steel, so I tried making one from 1/4" Dural sheet. This worked well enough for a while but eventually broke at the exhaust end where it is quite narrow and must get helluva hot from the cat. I then got a friend to weld the original bracket and it has been fine since.
Access is not too difficult from underneath the car if you place it on ramps or axle stands. I didn't have to remove anything to get at the bracket although it was slightly awkward to get at the bolts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.