Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of last year I asked for the advice/expertise of all those at Saabscene.
I had bought my first Saab, but had managed to buy a poorly maintained example.

The help I got from the forum (both in my thread and the back pages) made the decision to go to court easier, as well as the correct one.

The Judge in the Small Claims Court found the dealer had misrepresented the car and made a judgement against them. Today I finally received a check today for £740!!
The main points he referred to were the RAC inspection report and the advert placed by the dealer.

If I had not repaired the car before instigating Court proceedings I could have had the dealer ordered to accept the car and give a full refund. Unfortunately I was not made aware of this by my local Trading Standards Officer, or the solicitor who I had a free consultation with.

To sum up, I have now got a 1995 CSE 2.0 LPT which has 150,000 miles and cost £1800.
It has had £1600 of repairs old thread of which I recovered £740. The case started in Sept 02 and finished May 03.
Looking back it has been worth all the hassle and problems it caused. Saabrina now drives like a Saab should and is everything I wanted, although another 75 bhp would be nice.

If anyone is in a similar position then don't hesitate get in touch and I might be able to help them avoid repeating my mistakes.

Thanks to you all,

Wayne

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Hi Wayne - I recall your original posts on this. Thanks for getting back to us and posting with an update of what happened.

Obviously its better if it doesn't entail all this hassle, but I hope that you can now enjoy your Saab ownership

Good luck!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Congrats Wayne,hopefully you can put all this behind you now and just enjoy your Saab.

Mind you, if you've got a cheque for £740 burning a hole in your pocket I'm sure you could go someways towards that extra 75hp.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My wife has managed to spend the money about a dozen times so far, including a holiday, towards a deposit on a Pug 206 soft top and a 'nice set of garden furniture and a new Gazebo'!!!
I think my upgrade will have to sneaked in, I think a very expensive 155,000 mile service may be necessary!!
Because on what I read here I fitted poly bushes to front wishbone and rear anti-roll bar (amazing difference) and got the other work done at Scanparts in Telford.
It only went wrong when the beer can finally blew through and a 'fast fit' centre changed the downpipe. They damaged the oxygen sensor and after 2 weeks of messing around ended up with a genuine downpipe and sensor. A universal sensor wasn't quite universal enough!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just out of interest what was the problem with the universal sensor.
I had to fit a new downpipe to a GM900 recently and couldn`t save the old lambda so fitted a new universal one.
This was about 2 weeks ago and the check engine light has not come on yet!

PS Congrats on the result

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by SAABPILOT:
[qb]Just out of interest what was the problem with the universal sensor.[/qb][/b]
The universal lambda sensors tend to have a wider range of resistance tolerances than OEM ones, which seem to have tighter quality control. For some reason, Saab ECUs are particularly sensitive to variations in Lambda resistance. If you're lucky, a universal one will be within tolerance, if you're not it won't. My garage tried two universal ones on my car before we gave up and went for the more expensive (more than double!) OEM Bosch- no probs with that!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
the problem with the sensor was the check engine light. It came on as soon as I went to drive it out of the workshop.
Scanparts couldn't fit an OE sensor cos the pattern downpipe had the thread at the wrong angle.
They thought the 'quick fit fitter' had damaged it as they forced it in past the waterpump when they refitted it.

Got a OE downpipe and sensor fitted in the end.
Fast fit centre refunded all monies with no problems.
Going in on a saturday morning with 6 people waiting might have helped

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]For some reason, Saab ECUs are particularly sensitive to variations in Lambda resistance.[/qb][/b]
Not like me to be pedantic , but it is unlikely to be resistance that would cause any variation. The sensor is quite a high-impedance voltage source and it is the change in voltage that tells the ECU what is going on. All sensors that will be sold as suitable for the 9000 work on the same principle and the voltage swing is fixed by this principle. The only thing that can be different (and may upset Trionic) is the rate of switching.

The only resistance value to consider is that of the heater. A universal one I fitted to the Aero had a much higher heater resistance than the original. Having measured some Saab sensors, it seems that the specified heater resistance was reduced over the years. I assume this was to get the sensor to working temperature more quickly to meet emissions regulations (somewhere).

My universal one worked fine, however, until I replaced it some time later in an effort to cure a problem that turned out to be caused by something else entirely. That same sensor is currently installed in an LPG-powered Ford Transit camper van and is working much better than the original Ford item.

One conclusion I did draw from this experiment was that the current drawn by the heater in the later sensor will exceed the rating of the heater fuse installed in earlier cars. If mixing and matching, bear this in mind.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree with BillJ comments, lambda sensor is a chemical voltage generator and does not have a resistance as such.
As far as heater rating, the replacement sensor was about 6 ohms which would imply a current of around 2 amps. The fusebox however has a 25A fuse. This is a 1995 900GM.

My 9000 with Trionic has a 10 Amp fuse still way in excess of the universal sensor requirements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.