Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Yep, its the good old heater matrix leak problem. This one is a 1992 Saab 9000 with air conditioning. Shall I have a go at it myself or let a dealer do it?

I've had the car for a year and fallen in love with it, Barr's leak stopper worked fine but now the water hose from the top of the engine block that dissappears throught the bulkhead has split. It is just plain rotten, and the other end must be attached to the heater matrix somewhere. So the job just has to be done before I get stuck somewhere.

I can just imagine the dealers and repairers rubbing their hands together with glee when you say that to them. Information about a fair price for a dealer fitted unit is requested.

I've come across all the sites mentioned elsewhere describe how to do it yourself, but its the handling the air conditioning unit that I find daunting. If someone out there, meaning a real person with just the usual set of home enthusiast tools, has done a matrix replacement on a car with air con, then was it a pig or was it easy peasy?.

All information is welcome.

Regards

Ricky

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Ricky,
if it's the same as my '91 9000, you're barking up the wrong tree. The hose comes from the top of the cylinder head, through the false bulkhead, then attaches to the heater matrix outside the heater box.
So you can change the hose without disturbing the matrix. Take off the panel below the windscreen wipers and you'll see what I mean. By the way, the false bulkhead unbolts and lifts up to release the hoses, so don't struggle trying to pull them through as I did!
The only downside to the job was the fact that I couldn't get a hose, except from the dealer, and pay dealer prices!

Pete
Gloucester
UK
'91 9000S 2.3 Turbo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Pete,

What a hero! Many thanks for your reply. Still thinking about replacing my leaky matrix though, even if the chance of getting stuck, once the rubber hoses are renewed, has gone.

Regards
Ricky

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.