Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Had a problem with my 97CSE today: one of the straps holding the fuel tank on fell off - the clip at one end had corroded straight through, and the combined effect of a full tank and one of those godawful stressed concrete motorway surfaces caused it to fail.

It's in being replaced, but does anyone know if corrosion in that area is to be expected or is this indicative of a mmore serious rust problem?

·
Registered
552 Posts
They do go eventually, being in such an exposed position.

Having said that, I spray mine with Dinitrol then a coat of Waxoyl every year and they're still holding after 14 years.

The rustproofing on a Saab is excellent but I think it always pays to recoat/respray all the potential rust areas every year. After all, if your 9000 rusts away, what are you going to replace it with?

·
Registered
461 Posts
There's not likely to be more rust - it's one of the lesser known 'they all do that eventually, mate' moments.
My CS driving neighbour put me on to it the first day I pulled into the drive with a CS.
Take the spare wheel out and have a look around the well for flaking paint and rust. Make good anything you find and treat the straps as suggested in the other posts, and you'll be fine from here on.

Carl

·
Registered
552 Posts
The only other safety-related rust area I can think of is in the front wheel arch.

The front brake pipe disappears behind the plastic wheel arch liner and emerges through the metal wheel arch into the engine bay.

Between the two, there is about 4 inches of metal brake pipe which will corrode if not treated.

Other than that, you may get rust aft of the wheel arch liner, where the sunroof drains, also the bottoms of the doors (blocked drain holes) and the bottoms of the rear wheel arches (same again). Oh, and round the fuel filler piping on the inside of the wheel arch (wet mud accumulation).

I've also heard of rust around the shock absorber mounts, under the boot carpet, but I've never experienced that myself.

As I say, if you can see it, cover it with Waxoyl.If you can't see it, spray it with Dinitrol. It's cheaper than welding!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I replaced the fuel tank straps on my 93 CDE earlier this year when the drivers side one corroded through at the clip end. The 2 straps were about £60 in total. It was a bit awkward to do since the nuts/bolts at the back had rusted and one snapped but fortunately left enough behind for the new nut. Need a deep 13mm socket to remove the nuts. There is very little rust protection on the straps, only some paint which probably cracks near the clips due to movement so something to look out for. Ever since doing the job the fuel pump has sounded noisy as though the tank is tighter against the body and causing the sound to go into the car - tried lowering the tank again and making sure the hoses were not trapped but only made a difference for a short while. The car has done maybe 3000 miles since so I do not think the pump is faulty. Something else to check is that the sharp edges of exhaust shield are not touching/close to the tank since they can cut into the plastic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who commented.

I got my car back yestersday. According to the mechanic the second strip is fine with no corrosion visible. He thinks the one that broke must have had its coating damaged thus allowing it to rust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.