Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, hello to everyone. I have been reading posts for some time but this is my first post.

While under my Aero today I noticed two badly corroded pipes. They are are small and link the turbo the base of the engine, passing very close to the exhaust exit on the turbo itself. Can I replace these with braided hoses, as I intend at a later date to fit the 3" full exhaust and from what I have read these pipes end up very close to the new downpipe. If not, I have the Saab EPC but can't find these part numbers to price up replacements. And what are these pipes carrying, oil or water?

The car is a 1997 2.3l Turbo Manual Aero, it has been tuned by Abbott (ECU was changed and ITG air filter installed), is this a stage1?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well welcome to Saabscene... ( hate when people say that )

I don't know anything about the pipes. But regarding the Stage1 bit... This is just something tuning companies do to group parts together so they can sell them as a kit or if your talking about a stage1 cylinder head (for example) This is in relation to differences in proportions and there will be 3 cylinder heads to choose from. The stage3 head would contain or accept the biggest valves and have the most aggressive internal dimensions. Or to put it another way – it’s a sales thing and isn’t really relevant at anytime other than purchase time.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by cyberboblouth:
[qb]The car is a 1997 2.3l Turbo Manual Aero, it has been tuned by Abbott (ECU was changed and ITG air filter installed), is this a stage1? [/qb][/b]
Abbott Racing have never used the 'Stage ?' description. It's the well known Swedish tuners (Maptun/BSR/Nordic etc.) that use these phrasiology.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i have heard the term 'stage' to be used here in the states, but it may have been a term borrowed from Europe, i know not its origin, but that is getting off topic.

when i purchased the APC/EPROM/injector package from Swedish Dynamics i was told that this was a "part of the Stage 1 level of upgrade." i cannot recall what else was in the list, probably exhaust mods, performance air filter, fuel pressure regulator and other external add-ons.

HTH

·
Registered
494 Posts
And what are these pipes carrying, oil or water?[/b]
in some of the earlier cars, the turbos were oil cooled only, in later models, you will have both oil and water lines running through the turbo. the oil will pass through the bearings and around or near the shaft, whereas the water will be routed through the housing surrounding these areas. perhaps someone with more knowledge/experience will be able along shortly that would know at which point water cooling was introduced and be able to better answer your question.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes you can use flexible hoses as long as they are the correct type i.e. able to withstand oil/water under temp and pressure. However whilst the one that goes to the pump is relatively "normal" the other has tees off it for the throttle body preheat loop.

The smaller pipe going in to the middle of the turbo on the top is oil, the other two underneath are water. There is also a larger low pressure oil return pipe, which is part rubber attached to the bottom of the turbo.

I've got a 3" downpipe and there's no problem with clearing these pipes.

I would guess it's the two coolant pipes that you are describing.

Their part nos are:
91 45 897 (the one that comes from the water pump)
91 37 944

PS Welcome!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help.

The water pipe to the TD04 is 914/5897 but the other pipe I need is the TD04 oil pipe, part number 917/0473. The water pipe is in stock but the oil pipe is not, I have been waiting for one from Sweden for six weeks now. I have even tried some breakers yards for 2nd hand one, but no luck.

If anyone knows where there is a TD04 oil pipe (No 917/0473) in stock I would be very grateful, even 2nd hand would be OK.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It is the turbo water pipe that usually corrodes quite badly. I had one changed by a local garage a few years back on my previous car ('94 2L ECO), by way of preventative maintainance - and was surprised at how much good metal was still left when I came to inspect the old/removed unit.

They have been known to corrode right through though - so well worth preventative maintainance.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm about to get the water pipes replaced but I've been told that the labour costs for this piece of work is quite high as it involves dismantling the air con. Does that sound right?[/b]
Sounds like a load of rubbish! I've had the one from the water pump off when I replaced the waterpump. The aircon compresser has to be unbolted and moved out of the way to allow access (which is still awkward) but the hoses are left attached and the aircon system otherwise undisturbed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.