Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is not for the saab, but since there are plenty of mechanically minded people here, I thought I'd give it a go...

The cooling fan in my Renault clio 1.8 does not work when the engine is running. The temp goes up and up, but only when I switch the engine off the fan cuts in (assuming the water is hot enough to trigger it).

Any ideas? Could it be the relay?

Thanks

Harry

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's a built-in self-destruct mechanism to encourage Renault owners to scrap the car and buy a Saab instead

Failing that, it could be that the temperature sensor which triggers the fan is faulty and only works when the temperature reaches astronomical levels through heatsoak, ie after the engine is switched off.

I can't think how to test it though, other than replacing it - and that's assuming that Renault use a simple temp sensor and not something electronic.

Hopefully someone else will have more ideas.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I used to have a Renault 16 and that was the same.I installed a switch in the system but it was never needed,it appears Renault are overcooled and the coolant only gets hot with heatsoak,as this was a large number of years ago,do not take as gospel,only as an aside

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answers. The reason I do not believe this is normal is that the fan starts to work as soon as you switch the engine off, and stops as soon as you start it. It won't switch on no matter how high the temp goes while the engine is running. Oh, and when the car gets hot, idle shoots to 1500-2000 rpm

Anyone else?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
My wife had a Renault, and the fan came on when the engine was hot whether the ignition was on or not. I assume then that the fan has a feed that comes directly from the battery, probably via a relay switched by the temperature sensor. It's possible that there is a faulty earth somewhere that is allowing 12v from an ignition source get to the relay and cancel out the main current - until you switch the ignition off. This may be a real earth bolt, or it might be a fault in the relay.

Alternatively, I was discussing a heater fan problem with a Renault man, and he said that my wifes car had the fan run to keep the engine bay temperature down. This is why it carried on so long after stopping. I don't know if there's a separate engine bay temp sensor though. If there is, it could be this that's wrong.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hmm, let' see-

The French are such a compassionate people, maybe you can trade them the "Re-Not" for a REAL CAR....

LIKE MAYBE A S-A-A-B

I forgot...the French don't do business with any fur'in countries unless there is something in it for them.

Can you tell I am negatively bias againt them

·
Registered
305 Posts
I apologize for the remarks about the French

I really don't have a bias toward them but their cars certainly are well-renowned for their troublesome nature.

Sometimes our thoughts can leave a bad taste in our mouths(somewhat like my mother in laws' cooking).

No offense was sincerely met and I hope none was taken

wherewolfe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.