Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little stumped here, and I haven't yet found a thread that quite matches my problem. I recently acquired a base model (no A/C) 1984 900 and my cooling fan wasn't working. Jumped the wires at the thermo switch, and presto! The fan started working. Replaced the switch and all was well. The following day, however, it's dead again. Now when I jump the wires at the thermo switch the fan doesn't work. I tried swapping the relay with the same result, and the fuse isn't blown. I'm not 100% convinced that the relay was correct for my application, though. The connectors in the fuse box all are shiny and bright, so I don't think it's a bad connection there. I haven't tried applying power directly to the fan from the battery yet, but the fan turns easily by hand, so it's not seized. Does anyone know which connections on the relay plug would need to be connected together to make the fan run? As I mentioned, I don't have any power to the leads that connect to the thermo switch, so I have to imagine the problem is up farther in the system. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SOLVED! I was told when I picked up the car that the troublesome fan timer relay had been bypassed, but that wasn't the case. I made a jumper wire for the relay plug connecting the two large yellow wires together and voila! Functional fans. The timing relay is not in the fuse box with the other relays, but clipped to the fender on the driver's side of the car about midway from the fender to the radiator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congratulations on fixing the problem! If you don't have one already, keep your eyes out for a Bentley repair manual for your car. They're worth their weight in gold!

John Francis
Rolla, MO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts