Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my 95 Aero Auto was serviced & new timing chain (ie head off etc), the cooling fan seems to be on at high speed after the engine warms (10 mins) & doesn't actually slow at all. When I switch off ignition, fan slows & after 1 min or so, cuts.

Could there be either broken connection or air lock or something?

Any suggections to test for fault, as it is both noisy & also a little worrying if it is really overheating (temp guage looks normal, but I read elsewhere that it 'fakes' the reading).

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
A quick note on the faking:

My '94 (MY95) CSE's temperature gauge does go up and down as you'd expect, depending on conditions. However the gauges on my '96 Aero and '96 CSE do the "immovable object" routine.

Perhaps your '95 has a "proper" temperature gauge and is happy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill

I think the problem has been highlighted - today in traffic the guage went up to '10.00' & was definitely very hot. When I parked the engine was far too hot to touch, but the radiator was quite cool, so it looks like a thermostat problem. (+ a 'fake' guage). I had to put the cabin heater on high just to keep the engine at reasonable temp.
BTW, I thought that modern thermostats always failed 'safe'?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.