Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do a coolent change / flush on my 97 9K CSE 2.3 FTP. Just wondered what the best way of doing it would be, i.e. where to drain and how etc...

Thanks Guys.

Anthony

p.s. Just wanted to say thanks really, this is the first Saab I have owned and this site has been fantastic for advice and anything I need to know about saabs.... Thanks.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If the old coolant has been in there a while, and looks in poor condition, it may be worth investing in a coolant flush before you change it. Just add, run it for a while, and it gets rid of the sludge etc that builds up.

There's a drain plug at the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side of the car. You need to jack the car up (and support it) and remove the centre panel to access it.

I've found that it needs about 3 flushes to get rid of all the old coolant. ie drain, fill up with plain water, run the engine for a minute or so to circulate, then drain. Do this from cold to avoid having to wait too long between flushes. Alternatively, I've found that one of the Hozelock quick release connectors just fits inside the top radiator hose, and you can run water through there for a few minutes to rinse it all out.

The main difference between the pink and other coolants is that it is longer life- up to 5 years before it needs renewing and is also more expensive. There's no requirement to use Saab coolant, but equally I wouldn't buy the cheapest.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I agree with Mark - don't use the cheapest you can find. I just bought some coolant yesterday for my 90 and decided to go with the Halfords extended-life stuff (which is pink). If you go for the blue stuff, Halfords do a decent quality one of those too.

I used blue stuff in the Aero last time because I anticipated taking it apart a lot (which I did, but not the cooling system). I might use the pink stuff next time.

While you've got it drained, it's worth changing the thermostat as a precaution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.