Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would report on my experience in changing the coolant and thermostat recently on my 1996, 9000 2.3.

Removing the thermostat housing is the only difficulty and I was all set to remove the throttle body for better access as recommended. If you wish to clean the throttle body that is fine, but access to remove and replace the thermostat was not difficult with the throttle body in situ.

I followed the guidelines on the Quasimotors site, which includes excellent pictures, with minimal difficulty. Of course I fitted a genuine thermostat and new rubber seal, which comes with it. There is no need to use any sealant which makes pushing the thermostat into place, with the 2 holes lined up quite easy.

I have been putting this fluid change off for a while because it looked complicated. I have already done the power steering, auto transmission, brake fluid and of course the engine oil.

Removing the hoses which have stuck to the pipes can be a little trying but patience is the key.

The thermostat housing and inside the cylinder head were like a new car, not an ounce of corrosion despite 100,000 kilometres.

cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MMMMM

The job went well, but I now see a dribble of coolant from the drain pipe below the heater housing. I have read enough on Saabscene to know what that means

I have suspected the matrix was leaking slightly for a while and have even priced one locally. If I can successfully change the matrix then I will have really earned my wings

Might even take some photos and write up the saga

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ian, it might not necessarily be the matrix that is leaking - it could be at a hose connection. There are two connections concerned: one, just inside the 'aquarium', the other at the matrix. The other, and most probable, place
would be the seal between the end-tanks and the core. The connection between hoses in the aquarium can be seen without removing the heater blower motor, the others can't.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Anyone ever done this to a V6. And what does everyone think about the SAAB original pooh brown coolant. I understand that Ford stopped using this type of coolant for some reason. Personally I find the colour of the green coolant mix much more soothing. Thoughts anyone????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts