Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, has anyone done this and how easy/difficult is it to do?

Before anyone suggests it, yes it is easier to buy another car but where's the fun in that?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, the normally aspirated engines run at a compression of about 10.5:1, which is far above that of the turbo models, which run at around 8.5:1. I could be slightly off here with the exact numbers... Of course, when you use a turbo on an engine that already has high cylinder compression, you'll get things like blowby, cracks in the head, etc.

I say don't do it. The turbo 9000s have all kinds of electronic gadgets to both save the engine, and provide peak performance. You would need a donor car for all the parts it would require!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
some of the Turbo 9000's have a 9.5:1 compression ratio, and i know people put turbo kits onto N/A Supra's here, and run 6.5psi boost without changing anything, but they do remap the ECU...

i say if you want to turbo a current car, gut the engine bay, and drop in a new engine. probably easier to explain on insurance etc. and easier too

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.