Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Members,
I have recently purchased my second 2002 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible. Her past owner road her hard and put her away wet more often than not. He replaced the engine and two manual transmissions the original because the case cracked which he found out after getting it all together and running. The second because the used one he put in would not shift gears and he gave up on her. I replaced the transmission and she is running pretty well.
My question is the convertible top shear pin; I honestly have never had to replace one myself on my original car. Whenever it has been replaced it was done at a dealer. Well the car I just bought needs a new shear pin which I have several of. I understand that I may need to have the timings adjusted and that requires a Tech II. I would like to do as much as I can myself to keep the cost down.

Looking at the instructions that I found from Saab and here: http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/cv+shearpin.pdf

I have a question about Steps 1 and 2.

1. Manoeuvre the soft top into closed position with the soft op cover in a vertical
position.
2. Open the luggage compartment and remove the scuff plate.

How is it possible to open the luggage compartment with the soft top cover in the vertical position? I am trying to follow these directions as I have not dealt with this before. I guess I have to scenarios the first being after putting the roof in the closed position I lower the soft top cover to the closed position then replace the pin. The second is what I’m calling the soft top cover is not the soft cover is this the case?

Any help will be appreciated.
Art

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Art. Just be careful. With soft top closed (roof on), action the switch as if you were opening the soft top (roof off). The hard "soft top cover" will lift up to start the folding operation (when you shearpin has gone, you normally need manual help at this point). Leave the switch alone as soon as the hard cover is in vertical position (as mentioned in explanations). Turn engine off and open your boot as requested. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts