Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
hope I’m in the right forum, I have a 2007 93 convertible with a couple of problems with the roof.

First issue is it is leaking. The leak seems to be left side and around the ‘folding bit’ in the middle ( hoping that will make sense to someone) I know leaky convertibles is not unusual, but can anyone suggest what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Second problem is as it was a dry blowy day today I went to open the roof to let some air through and the roof won’t open. It appears the front left catch is stuck . I tried it a few times but it wasn’t releasing, again any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
S

·
Registered
26 Posts
I see this was a couple of months ago. Did you get it fixed? If not, did the tonneau cover open normally, but the roof wouldn't release from the windshield?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, not actualy looked at it further as was hoping for some advice from here before we did. No, it’s still not working, and yes, the back opens normally, just the left side won’t release from the windscreen.

As far as the leak is concerned, I think the top needs reprooofing, but do now have a cover to keep it dry meantime, however the wet is more left hand side, and the car is parked on a very slight forward slope, I’m wondering if something has got damp and seized? Just no idea where or how to look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The leak you're talking about is water, right? If it's oil, that would explain why your top is not releasing. It would mean that the hydraulic cylinder that powers the catch release has blown, which is not uncommon. There are several of these cylinders in the top mechanism, and they will all wear out eventually. Unfortunately, they're quite expensive to rebuild!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The leak you're talking about is water, right? If it's oil, that would explain why your top is not releasing. It would mean that the hydraulic cylinder that powers the catch release has blown, which is not uncommon. There are several of these cylinders in the top mechanism, and they will all wear out eventually. Unfortunately, they're quite expensive to rebuild!
Hi, Thanks for the reply, the leak is water, coming in the top of the roof, on the left hand side, near the front.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The roof material on our convertibles is a sandwich, with a layer of rubber in the middle to make it waterproof. Can you see any marks on the outside where it's leaking that look like the material is failing? Or do you think the leak might be at the windshield seal?

As far as the catch not releasing, you'll probably need to carefully do the manual release with the allen wrench (I've read that allen nut strips out easily). Once you get the roof folded back, you can get into the mechanism and see what's failed. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The roof material on our convertibles is a sandwich, with a layer of rubber in the middle to make it waterproof. Can you see any marks on the outside where it's leaking that look like the material is failing? Or do you think the leak might be at the windshield seal?

As far as the catch not releasing, you'll probably need to carefully do the manual release with the allen wrench (I've read that allen nut strips out easily). Once you get the roof folded back, you can get into the mechanism and see what's failed. Good luck!
Thank you, Interesting information on how the roof is made. If that is the case, why are there reproofing kits on the market? Are they just sold because people will buy them, thinking they help, or do they have a real purpose? Does the rubber in the middle ever perish?
im not entirely sure wherethe water comes in, other than the left hand side. I’m pretty sure however it’s not over the windscreen, it does seem to be along the side, on the left, middle to front. Not that that makes any sense 🤷‍♀️

my boyfriend has offered to pay for it to go into a garage, so that’s probably what I shall do. However, where is the manual release?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts