Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi! Newbie here, been recommended I pop in by someone on UKSaabs. I have a 2010 9-3 Vert. I paid £450 for the upgrade to the stereo, I believe it is the 300W prestige one I have, however, I can only see 7 speaker covers, I was worried that they have only supplied the 6CD Changer not the whole upgrade.

Having read the above there may be chance that I do in fact have the full system, as they do not add any more locations. How can I check that there are in fact 10 speakers fitted. Is the sub's presence obvious in the rear, only it doesn't sound that great with the fader all the way back, certainly not bassy.

I had a few issues getting the car and it was suggested it was rushed through following a call from Saab UK MD to the factory, could they have forgot to add the correct items, could the dealer have ordered the wrong bits......

I need to know one way or the other how I can tell and if the situation is salvageable.

Stevedol - Could you PM the installation instructions, that might offer some help. Much appreciated if you could.

Rich

·
Registered
597 Posts
The ten speaker system has component speakers on the dashtop, still under the same grill (you can pop the grills off with a plastic blade to check) and the sub is inside the rear seat back. Check that by putting your hand on the centre of the seat back and feeling the bass!! Alternatively, you might be able to see the 10" sub's basket and magnet if you take the velcro'd panel off inside the boot (centre bottom of bulkhead). This may require you to crawl inside the boot!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The ten speaker system has component speakers on the dashtop, still under the same grill (you can pop the grills off with a plastic blade to check) and the sub is inside the rear seat back. Check that by putting your hand on the centre of the seat back and feeling the bass!! Alternatively, you might be able to see the 10" sub's basket and magnet if you take the velcro'd panel off inside the boot (centre bottom of bulkhead). This may require you to crawl inside the boot![/b]
Thanks for the reply, I think the front 2 speakers positioned on the outer portion of the dash might have 2 speakers inside them, had a look through the mesh yesterday. The sub is the one I want to look for, it just doesn't feel like there is a sub in the car, there is very little bass coming from the back....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
With my 6x9s connected to the door speakers, as previously described, you can definatley feel the base through the back seat. I'd have thought a true 10" sub should be quite distinct

anyone wanting 6x9 bass speakers, Kenwood do a set with a line level amp - IMHO perfect for the situation...

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/p...gleproduct.html

It'll be on my list to Santa - it'll soon be Christmas you know :grin:

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Right then - took the smaller letter box shaped piece off and could see nothing. Put my hand in and upwards and could touch the larger piece, appears there is nothing in the middle of the back seats, there is a wire, but nothing else.

In the boot to the left side is another cover, removing that shows 2 electrical box things, with cooling fins on, there is a gap of a couple of inches between them.

Does it look like I have been stiffed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I have found the sub! Just spoken to Saab UK Customer Service, who have advised me that there are 3 on the dash, 1 in each door, 1 in each rear side, and 3 mounted behind the headrests, a subwoofer and 2 others. Reason you can't see them is that they are covered due to them being exposed when the roof is down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Right then - took the smaller letter box shaped piece off and could see nothing. Put my hand in and upwards and could touch the larger piece, appears there is nothing in the middle of the back seats, there is a wire, but nothing else.

In the boot to the left side is another cover, removing that shows 2 electrical box things, with cooling fins on, there is a gap of a couple of inches between them.

Does it look like I have been stiffed?[/b]
Don't worry. If you have 2 amps in the boot (the twoboxes with fins), you have the 10 Speakers.

I have the 7 speaker setup in my 2010 Aero Vert and I only have the one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since posting yesterday I have found the missing sub! Just got to figure out why it is not working.

When I put bass up to full and fader full rear most of the bass comes from the door speakers, could it be wired up wrong?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I don't know how it should be wired but it may not be dependant on the fader position

Sounds like there is a broken connection somewhere, you would know if it was working - at least you should if the system's any good?

I'm not helping much here am I?

:crazy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forsh - Thanks for the comments. You are helping, they are the same thoughts I am having, £450 for an upgrade with a sub woofer you can't even hear......

·
Registered
3 Posts
if I get these in the UK off ebay UK, will they be OK to install in my 2005 9-3 Linear Convertible here in the USA?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good afternoon to you all its been a while since i read this thread so thought i would post up my own install and im very happy with it ..

Actually was very surprised With the bass that comes from the 10 inch sub i installed it is amazing ,
I took the time and effort to sound deaden the area that they leave to fit the factory option,
which as i'm sure you are all aware they are like rocking horse manure ..

So i bought a nice alpine 10 inch speaker and some mdf ,
removed the 6x9 plastic covers and made 18mm mdf covers screwed these into the oem holes to get a better bass response less metal vibrating ,
then i covered all the areas internally of the t shaped chamber in sound deadening .
I did leave the rear flap open to boot to allow more air pressure to get into the boot , i will in time try it with it covered once everything has settled down a bit ,
I also uprated all four speakers and head unit speakers with JL audio speakers
inc alpine for the dash speakers ,
and new alpine head unit and 2 alpine amps to power all the speakers ,
20170108_174955.jpg 20170108_175027.jpg IMG-20170108-WA0011.jpg IMG-20170108-WA0013.jpg IMG-20170108-WA0009.jpg 20170108_175015.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pdf instruction set of how to install the Saab Prestige 300w upgrade to 2004 on convertibles, PM me your email and I'll forward it on to you, it should answer some of your questions.
Hi, I'm interested in the pdf. Actually I don't know exactly which hi-fi is mounted. How I can check it? My 93cabrio from 2009 need a new Infotainment system, and maybe I could upgrade also speakers. Thank you in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI
ok so the 10 speaker convertible system seams to be a fallacy

7 or 13 even for the vert

I've had the back seat out today to fix a seatbelt problem and found the spaces for the two 6x9 woofers
the others (7 to 13 speakers) are just 4 additional tweeters for the front and rear speakers

I'm thinking the most economic upgrade would be a line level speaker input amp feeding the two 6x9s

...do the rear speaker feeds have full range frequency from Amp 1?

:)
Did u find amp 1 im having same problem found amp above the cd player higher up but unsure if amp 1 or 2 as my stereo aint coming on the one i found is left side of boot above sat nav disk higher up i missed it a few times

·
Administrator
5,133 Posts
@Alex73 The MY07 onwards vert has a different audio system to the MY04-06 vert which is what the pdf relates to..

@Devilsown666 What car/yr are we taking about vert,saloon or combi..

21 - 36 of 36 Posts