Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 Aero Convertible with, as far as I know, the ES4-7 audio/phone/satnav

with 3 dash speakers, 2 door speakers and 2 rear side panel speakers are the missing speakers that make it a 10 speaker system just tweeters on the existing speakers or are there other locations I could add aftermarket speakers

does the ES4-7 have one or two amps? am I right in saying Amp 1 will be behind the rear passenger side panel? (is the panel easily removable without breaking anything?)
where would Amp2 live?

Cheers

:)

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The front speaker amp is under the left hand side rear window.

The rear speaker amp is behind the left hand wheel arch. Rear electrical centre is on the wall above it.

Not sure about the speaker upgrade on the convertible.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers sgould

would Amp 2 only be there if the extra speakers are installed?
there's a gap above the satnav DVD it that where it would be - I can't see anything else behind the panel

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I need to know what speakers go where?

I hope there's space for some bigger bass speakers even if there 6x9s

is Amp 2 different to Amp 1 or same amp different location in the loom? (incase I find an Ebay one) (do they need Tech 2'ing?)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a pdf instruction set of how to install the Saab Prestige 300w upgrade to 2004 on convertibles, PM me your email and I'll forward it on to you, it should answer some of your questions.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI
ok so the 10 speaker convertible system seams to be a fallacy

7 or 13 even for the vert

I've had the back seat out today to fix a seatbelt problem and found the spaces for the two 6x9 woofers
the others (7 to 13 speakers) are just 4 additional tweeters for the front and rear speakers

I'm thinking the most economic upgrade would be a line level speaker input amp feeding the two 6x9s

...do the rear speaker feeds have full range frequency from Amp 1?

·
Registered
245 Posts
FYI
ok so the 10 speaker convertible system seams to be a fallacy

7 or 13 even for the vert[/b]
I know that in later years, the 2 6x9s hqave been replaced by a single 10" sub somewhere around the centre of the back seat, may even be under the seat, this would drop it down from 13 speakers to 12. Maybe the later years also deleted the 2 rear tweeters, which would then give 10 speakers, not sure though.

As for frequencies, non of the speakers in any setup get a true full range signal, they're all filtered in some way.

If you have the 7 speaker system and want more bass, you need to use a line level converter fed by the door speakers as they're the source of bass in this setup.

The rear speakers are generally for rear-fill only and are supplied with a fairly poor signal, that said, I did feed a set of 5" full range speakers off the rears in my old Aero saloon, via a line level converter and amp. They sounded pretty good, but completely overpowered the front of the car. I had to turn the amp gain down to minimum and offset the fader to get it sounding right, which pretty much cancelled out having them there in the first place.
If you're ok with your music coming from behind you, then feeding amped 6x9s from rears will be ok.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for the replies Steve

As an experiment I think I may try putting some 6x9s I have kicking around in and running them in parallel with the door base speakers

I've read the door speakers are 2 ohm so with stock 4 ohm 6x9s the amp will see 3ohms load so should cope ok

I'll just have to see if the 6x9 can be heard once the seat is back in place

any one know which wires are for the door speakers at Amp 1?

·
Registered
245 Posts
any one know which wires are for the door speakers at Amp 1?[/b]
For the saloon with amp1 under the front passenger seat, the colours are :
Left - Grey/ White
Left + Green
Center – Yellow/ White
Center + Violet/ White
Right – Grey/ White
Right + Blue
Don't know if the colours are the same for the convertible, but no reason they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put a couple of 6x9s in today that I had lying around...

this pic shows the blanks the car comes with

here are the speakers fitted

I've connected them in parallel with the front speaker output of amp one and to be honest they didn't seam to make much difference with the seat out so may not be heard with the seat in. I'll see how they sound after I've been for a run in it.

next step is to add an amp

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's interesting. The facelift 9-3 has a different shape seat back - the centre is shaped (with thinner foam between the seat backs) to make way for the 10" sub to go in the square aperture on the bulkhead.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are a pair of old Kenwoods I had lying round

Ideally they should be 6x9 bass woofers, with the bass easily able to get through, I figured the tweeters can just tweet away to themselves

Although having said that, Saab/Pioneer have thought about the design of the rear seat back, it seems to be made from GRP and is shaped infront of the speakers and ducted through a mesh grill in the centre of the seat and the leather is perforated where the sound exits, the square above the seat belt buckles...

the sound sounds fuller but I think an extra amp with a bass filter feeding the 6x9s will improve things

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a pdf instruction set of how to install the Saab Prestige 300w upgrade to 2004 on convertibles, PM me your email and I'll forward it on to you, it should answer some of your questions.[/b]

Hi stevedol would you mind if I pm'd you my email address for a copy of the PDF?

John

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Steve

Just been reading this thread with great interest. Got a 2004 vert and would be really appreiciative if I could also have a copy of the pdf doc. Ok to PM you?

Rich

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Steve

Just been reading this thread with great interest. Got a 2004 vert and would be really appreiciative if I could also have a copy of the pdf doc. Ok to PM you?

Rich[/b]
Again, Not a problem

1 - 20 of 36 Posts