Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. '93 9K CDE, non-turbo, auto.

The next repair I'm planning is to replace the control arm front bushing supports. I'm getting a clicking sound when going over small bumps at low speed. I checked them out, and 3 of the 4 are broken.

I've got the service manual and it looks relatively easy: remove the 3 bolts on the ball joint, unbolt the sway bar link, then remove the bolts holding the support. Refitting, as they say, is the reverse of removal.

Then again, everything looks relatively easy when it's written in the book...

At the same time, I'm planning on doing the sway bar drop links and bushings, as well as the sway bar bushings.

Anything else I should know? Caveats, things to watch out for?

Thanks,

mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I had seen Bill's site, and have printed it out as a reference. Didn't get to it this weekend, maybe in a few more.

I assume there's nothing that will be damaged by the bushings being broken. It appears to just be the flanges that are broken. The main part seems OK.

After the repair is done, should I get the alignment checked out?

Thanks,

mike

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
If you're just doing the front bush mountings, then as far as I remember, it is possible to do it without removing the arm. Just disconnect the anti-roll bar drop-link and then undo the front bolts. The mountings can be a bit tight to get off if they are corroded. Lots of levering with a screwdriver, etc, eventually got the stubborn one off when I tried it. A bit of WD40 or Plus-Gas helped too.

The alignment will probably be OK, but I always have it checked after doing work like this. Fitting the new mounts might make a difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Leave the drop links alone because the n/s one usually snaps,once you have undone the 16mm bolts just lever back the arm off the bolts..
Then to start the bolts back in use a ratchet spanner which will locate the bolt through for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.