Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have now checked to establish whether my PI springs are the right ones & they are! This means that either there are some quality control issues at PI, or that my Aero has a lead lined boot & an engine full of helium
. Seems strange to me that they have a one spring to fit all policy, bearing in mind different kerb weights of 9000 CS varients.

As there are no alternatives from the supplying shop for 9000 CS Aero's, I think that I may well head Essex bound this week and spend some dosh with Abbott. So much for my cunning plan to save money . I'll learn, I know.

I'll have a go at trying to squeeze a deal out of Giles - from what others have said, I think I might need to start crying on the phone!!!

BillJ, aside from the 'thinning' of Superflex front wishbone bushes over time, do you reckon it's worth me spending out on Abbotts wishbone jobbies if I am having the springs done?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Well, I don't know for sure that there is still a problem with the SuperFlex bushes. I know that the problem can be fixed by shimming the ends with washers - there isn't that much play. It depends what you prefer to do. I just wanted the problem out of the way and hadn't time to fiddle with it my self as I was going on a long trip later that day. The Abbott bushes are certainly not cheap, though.

Interesting that the PI springs don't suit your car. I was wondering whether I should change my Abbott springs for something a bit stiffer at some point (not yet, in case you're wondering whether they're for sale ). At the moment, I have the relatively soft Abbott springs (plenty firm enough for the road) with the Konis turned up almost all the way for the track. I'm sure this isn't ideal.

I managed to negotiate a deal with Giles for the transmission work. I think the deal you're most likely to get is a discount on the parts. Since the labour for springs (you aren't getting the shocks done, I take it?) won't be enormous, then the parts will probably be the largest part of the cost.

Might be an idea to have the rear Konis turned up a bit while you're at it, since you said you thought they were a bit soft. I think one turn should give you decent damping that you can feel, without the ride being harsh. The Abbott springs definitely don't like really soft damper settings.

Be prepared for the fact that it will probably feel firm and a little "jiggly" for the first few thousand miles until the shocks settle in (and lower a bit more). With the springs "run in", I reckon you'll find one turn on the Konis gives good handling with a nice ride.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, Bill. As my Aero is only going to be a road car (I have a Lotus for track days, after all), I am quite happy for the springs to be reasonably comfy. Gassy's Abbott'ed 9000 gave a much smoother ride than mine on Saturday, so I have made my mind up. I am looking forward to a car that works!!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Bill,
Hindsight's a wonderfull tool, had you known you'd get the track day bug, you could have gone straight for the firmer Bilstein dampers/springs rather than the Koni's and Abbott springs.........

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Bill,
Hindsight's a wonderfull tool[/qb][/b]
Yeah, wish I'd bought a big dollop of that up front
I can still change the springs at some point - it's not a hard job. The Konis should still be useful as they have a huge adjustment range and can go even harder than the rock-hard setting I have at the moment

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Booked into Abbott for 2pm on Friday. No charge for fitting, so I am a happy chappy!

Ed said that ride height would be lowered just 20mm and I should have no problem with a car load of people. Anyone want to buy my assisters?

Question is, how long will I be able to wait until my cheque book starts flapping & I get that LSD fitted??? Out of interest, is it worth getting a sports clutch fitted at the same time as I hear stories about clutch slip from some Saabscener's?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Jez,
Ref clutch, both BillJ and I have had AP clutches fitted- but then we're running way above normal toruqe- circa 330lbft.

As long as you pressure plate springing hasn'r gone soft, a standard clutch IMO won't have any problems long term until you start to break through ther 300lbft barrier.

The downside of fitting an AP clutch is that it's harder to drive around town, and you tend to suffer from judder, which gets worse in stop-start traffic as it warms up. You can compensate for this to a certain extent with a different style of feeding the clutch in but is is more work.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - cheers for that, Mark. I should have around 300lb at present, but no more. Seems to be OK, but I just wondered whether it made sense cost wise to get the work done at the same time? I have driven cars with harsh clutches, so although it is a bit of a pain, I do have the experience. Embarassing when you keep stalling to start with!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts