Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All, the flasher relay on my 9000 is a bit intermittent (ho ho ho), I've bent the prongs a little to try and get a better contact but would probably do better with some proper electrical contact cleaner.2 questions

1. Is contact cleaner any good, could I squirt a little into the female connections without drenching everything else aswell as on the relay prongs.
2. Where can I get this magic fluid from ?, I need either an internet site or the name of a shop that the public can use (i.e. I hav'nt got a RS account and B & Q don't do it)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The best contact cleaner I have come across is Servisol Switch Cleaner. It may be available from Maplin who sell to the public direct and also via the internet. I believe that you can also buy from RS at their Trade Counters without an account if you pay cash.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
You can also buy direct from RS with a credit card - just done that to get a whole load of jack-nuts for the undertrays on both my CSEs - not a very happy time spent under the cars this weekend.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I listed everything I bought from RS to do this in a previous thread. The undertrays use the M6 jacknuts, while the bumper and front valance, should you ever need to dismantle them (I did) use M4. I used stainless steel screws and washers along with copper grease in the hope that corrosion might be less of a problem.

In retrospect, the screws I bought are a bit difficult to use as the thread goes all the way to the end. The ones Saab use have a plain bit on the end which makes it easy to locate the screw in the jacknut before screwing it in. This makes it a lot harder to cross-thread. Badly cross-thread a new jacknut and you're back where you started.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
In the good old days, when I was knee high to a grasshopper, you could buy such things from a hardware store. Then the big DIY emporiums priced those guys out of the market and years later decided that profit margins on sundry items such as screws, washers etc was just too low so they ditched them to make space for more paper lamp shades*. So now we have to buy all our nuts 'n' bolts online.

Ain't capitalism great.

*next time you buy one, try and guess how much they cost to make based on the value of the material and the cost of labour in the country of manufacture.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Ah, yes. But you can usually find screws, nuts, etc. sold in packs of ten at the same price you could get 100 from elsewhere (or would it have been "one gross" in those days?).

Of course, if you only want one of each of ten items, you come out of the place with ten of each. Oh, well, at least you can use them for something else. Except you can't. Until the day you find the ideal use for them, only to realise that they are nowhere to be found. Grrr Back down to the DIY supermarket to ferret around for screws among the paper lampshades again...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Alternatively, try and find a place on an industrial estate near you that does fasteners. Most medium to large towns would have one I think. I've found one near where I work and it's great! I take in a load of rusty and/or oily and/or mangled nuts, bolts, screws and washers, dump them all over the counter and say "I need 5 of each of these in [whatever material] please". They also sell threadlock (who knew there were so many kinds??) and glue and huge bags of cable ties and all sorts of other goodies. Highly recommended if you can find one. I tend to go in lunch time when they are slow and they don't mind me messing the place up.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (currently without 9000CD):
[qb]So now we have to buy all our nuts 'n' bolts online.
[/qb][/b]
Akchewally not so... I don't know if other branches are similar but I happened to notice in my local Motorists Centre the other week that they are selling little packs of all manner of odd fastners etc. at not too OTT prices- probably a better bet if you only want a couple.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.