Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emm...How do you connect it, on to the fuel pump that is.
Dont want to sound totaly stupid but Because it's "shrink" fit, The only way I can think of is to heat it either by dipping the end in boiling water just about an inch or so.
Or using a hair dryer. Can someone please advise on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I simply put something to fill the hole and heated it with lighter using extreme carefullness:)..perhaps there is some easier and safer way to do that but I had to get car running quickly. Sorry my bad English..lack of practise:).

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Booster.....What I should have said was that I'll be connecting it "on the car", so I couldn't possibly use the method you suggest.
I appreciate your help/answer but using a "naked" flame

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Booster: I guess you mean a non-return valve?

Saab1: You can get heat-guns that are used in electrical/electronic fabrication for the heat-shrink sleeving, which should be safer than a lighter. They cost a lot to buy, but maybe you can borrow one?

Go to RS and look at part 386-5103 for an example.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Saab1, yes, it's a pig of a job!

Easiest way is to borrow the special Saab tool from your dealer.

You can also use a pipe flarer, apparently.
Or heat up a tapered drift and use that to flare the tube.

If you use hot water,you'll need to remove the water that goes down the pipe (inevitably) as you do it, or you'll end up with a fuel/water mix in the injectors.

Whichever method you use, there's an element of brute force involved - and it's very easy to bend the plastic pipe, too.

Best of luck. Took me 45 minutes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Someone posted (what I found) a very useful trick, which is to cut the pipe from the old valve leaving one "ridge" formed at the end of the pipe. This gives a good start to the pushing/swearing/screaming routine of the next half hour.

I managed to get the pipe comfortably over the second "ridge" but gave up with the third and final. I then clamped it firmly with one of those terry-like clips meant for fuel pipe (like terry but smooth on the inside so won't cut into pipe). This seems to have worked perfectly well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
you could also try using a steam iron although it a very awkward job it all boils down to having the right tools for the job.good luck, i just bought some ordinary fuel pipe and a very small jubilee clip, this did the trick for me

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
when the abbot loaner died on me (fuel pump) I did the fuel pipe and jubilee clip..it was a bit of a squeeze going back in but there was no petrol/ hot bits/flame interface..just been watching a fire brigade prog onthe box ..house gutted ...reason ?
guy was cleaning something with petrol in the kitchen with a gas ring on....ther was nothing left intact inside after they eventually put it out

be carefull out there !!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]guy was cleaning something with petrol in the kitchen with a gas ring on....ther was nothing left intact inside after they eventually put it out be carefull out there !! [/qb][/b]

ylee.....i did that with the jubilee with my last Saab, but I held for so long then leaked again.
I ended up with a "puddle" at the top of the pump quite literaly.

But thanks guy's I'll stick to some form of heat from a gun/hair dryer or something.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Petrol is dangerous stuff even if you think you know what you are doing.

Our safety officer, and an ex-fireman, was being very careful cleaning some car parts. After cleaning them on the work bench he put the tray of petrol on the garage floor. The fumes were drawn by his body heat up his left trouser leg. Being extra careful he was wearing safety boots. When he moved, the steel heel struck a spark and his trouser leg exploded. He was in hospital and off work for three weeks. The trousers are fine and were wearable after a good wash.

Sounds like an urban myth, but sadly not!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi..just getting in on the tail-end of a pertinent subject, apparently. My son and I both have 9000s, his being a 1991 4-door sedan, while I have a 1991 hatchback (not my primary car). His stopped running last week, stranding him 20 miles from home. While we figured out it was a fuel problem quickly (starter fluid gets it to 'kick' over), he tried taking the fuel pump out of his car, and promptly broke the L-shaped jointed tube coming out of the pump.
Being a typical american offspring, he got his mother's permission, and tried to take the unit out of my car, with the same result. Is this the tube that you are referring to in this message series? I expect I will have to purchase a ( no, strike that..two) tubes to replace these items. They appear to go underneath the carpeting, in the rear of the car. What is annoying is that even when replaced, the problem, which involves a lack of fuel to the injectors, still hasn't been diagnosed. I would have tried the relay first, then checked the filter..am I right here?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.