Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1989 9000CD Turbo came with the EDU II Computer. The base computer that also incorporates the analogue clock. I have come upon the more featured DCC (Driver / Co-Driver Computer & yesterday stripped down enough of the dash to get to the huge wiring loom & have found a connector that fits the back of this unit. The original unit had two connector blocks comprising one 3 pin connector & an 8 pin (I think) connector. The DCC computer has sockets on the back for 2 8 pin connectors. I have discarded the 3 pin connector connected to the original unit & used the remaining 8 pin connector with the second 8 pin connector I found tied up in the loom. The unit appears to work until you drive the car when nothing seems to be getting through from the speed sensor(??).

Has anyone on list managed to upgrade their computers who knows exactly what is needed to be done, to successfully upgrade the onboard computer?

TIA.
Mal.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Yes, I did my 91 Carlsson last weekend with an old SCC I have lying around (the later one with circle and triangle buttons, not clock and whatever.

The speed wire is (was) the green (or yellow one at the lower right of the left hand plug, looking down from the top front of the SCC.

I tried running mine with just the 8 and 3 way plugs and got the same as your expirence, so decided toi run a wire from the cruise control,when I found the other plug behind the carpet near the clutch.

Are you sure you have the correct DCC/SCC unit, there are at least three, but I would expect you could re-route the speed sense cable from whichever pin it on now.

Andrew

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andrew. Thanks for that. I did not know there were so many variants to the Trip Computer. It's possible then that the unit I have got is not compatible with my car.

When I purchased the Trip Computer (This has no circular or triangular buttons) I had a good hunch that Saab would have fitted the same loom to their cars & that I might find additional wiring harnesses lurking around the back of the dashboard. I was right. The connector I found which has the capacity to connect two rows of 4 spade connectors has a black & a white wire straight off into a two pin connector that connects to a corresponding black & white wire in the same part of the loom. (ie straight through). This suggests to me that in the event that the Trip Computer is up/down graded then there are variations of RE-wiring that need to be done.

I take on board what you have said regarding coloured wires & will check the wiring colours/position to see if they marry up in my wiring loom. I take it all you did is re-route the speed sensor wire to the corrosponding connector on the back of the Trip Computer???? If so, how did you know which spade connector was the right one to connect to? What did you do with the original wire that was connected to that spade connector on the Trip Computer or did you just splice it into that connection?

You will probably guess that I'm clutching at straws. However, I'm sure the loom is capable of taking different sorts of trip computer. The unit I am trying to fit has a LCD display up top Underneath there are 3 buttons "E" (Temp & cabin heater timers), A Clock symbol button, which DOES display the time & a "Trip" button. Toggling this button shows "0" or "0.0". It also allows you to set a speeding alarm which I can do though if I go beyond what I have set this to the alarm does not activate.

Underneath those three buttons are the two buttons labelled "R" (Reset) & "Info". These latter buttons I guess replace the same labelled buttons from the unit I removed which only additionally to those two buttons had the analogue clock.

I will add that the Haynes manual lists these two Trip Computers so they are definitely stock Saab units.

Any information anybody can offer will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Mal.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'll try to get moree info, but from what I can remember, all lookinf from front top.

there is:-
1. The analogue clock one with 1 3way and 1 8 way plug.
2. The E and clock you have with two 8 way plugs,
3. The early circle and triangle one with 2 8 way plugs (one using 3 pins left , one 5 pins right
4. The later circle and triangle one with 1 8 way plug using all 8 pins.

The later three all have clips to hold the unused 3 way plug.

All 1., 2. and 3. units use the same right hand 8 way plug,
for units 2. and 3. left hand plug is labeled with a yellow dot (as is the EDU).

The left hand plug top two pins on the left are 12V and earth the botton right pin is speed input (pins 1, 2 and 8 reading down the rows of pins).

The back of the EDU come off easily, remove both metal clips, and gently remove the back, the PCB is labeled next to each pin what it is.

My left plug is 1. red 2 black, 3. blue 4. none 5. none 6. black and grey 7. black/white 8. Green (speed).

Have fun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andrew,

You are a star for providing the information for the wiring. I will hopefully take a look at this tomorrow evening.

Really appreciate this.

Anyone care to add any further information/advice/help then please feel free to do so. Better to have too much information to use where possible.

Thanks again Andrew.
Mal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts