Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm a happy new owner of an '89 Saab 9000 but I'm having a problem with the onboard computer. It was working fine when I test drove the car but I haven't seen anything from it since. The wife's been driving it for most of the week since we bought it and she says it appears now and then, but not for me.

I've tried shining a flashlight on the display to see if it's a weak bulb, but without success. I guess it must be a loose connection somewhere, can anyone suggest how I can fix this?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome to the forum(s).

Which display are you having trouble with ? - I'm guessing it's the one at the bottom centre of the instrument panel - rather than one built into a separate unit in the dash (you might have a clock there instead).

Someone with a better memory than me will be along to tell you which combination of buttons to press if the display has been turned off (which it can be), or it may still be the bulbs being blown / poorly connected as you suspected, as it's VERY hard to see the display when it's not backlit.

Carl

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The display can be turned off, but i think almost any of the buttons will turn it on again.

Another common one is to accidently dim the panel lights when starting the car. Check the panel dimmer hasn't been adjusted like this.

Andrew

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, its the display in the bottom middle. The one occasion I saw it working it had some info about fuel consumption etc.

I've tried adjusting the dimmer on the lower left of the steering wheel (this also turns up & down the brightness of the speedo etc) and there's a green glow coming from the area where the display should be when I turn the dimmer up to max, but no display. I also poke away at the R and INFO buttons like a demented monkey every time I sit in the car!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Most likely it's a poor connection.

There are 3 bulbs that light up the display. I always wondered why mine was dim towards the right but just took it that it was poorly lit at that end.

Then one day the other end went dim, then I flicked the panel and it came back.

I test drove an Aero once which had the check engine light on (didn't buy!) but then later it was off. I questioned the owner about it and he said, "Oh I took it to a dealer who couldn't find a fault and they reset it!". More like the bulb just went out again.

It's pretty easy to sort out, just remove the top of the dash, then remove the two screws that hold the instrument console in and carefully lift out (having disconnected the loom).

You might also be able to do it without removing the console, I can't remember exactly now.

You might be interested in changing them to LED's too for either a colour change or just for long life, I came across this site yesterday which has a load of replacement LED's for car fittings.

I couldn't get hold of the bulbs for the seat heater switch so used 12v green LED's instead.

David.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it!!!

When I first noticed the display wasnt working (probably because of a loose connection) I started prodding at the buttons, including holding in R and INFO for a few seconds - which must have turned it off. Then, later I tried tapping at the dash and display which probably fixed the contact without my seeing the result. Today I tried pressing the buttons together and the display came back again.

Now, since I don't have the user manual, I've just gotta figure out what information on the screen is telling me!

Thanks for all the help

ps. it looks like i might still have to replace one of the LEDs but I'll wait on that until I can get hold of a haynes manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts