Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my recently acquired P-reg 9000 CS LPT, at speeds over approx. 30 mph a strong and unpleasant draught of cold air blows in from under and around the steering column. Altering the ventilation or air conditioning settings(it's not a climate-control model) doesn't change it (although choosing a warm day for my motoring helps). My local SAAB main dealer says it shouldn't happen, but they have encountered it in a small number of 9000s over the years and, despite looking, have been unable to find or cure the cause. Does anyone know the cause and how to stop it properly at source? (Currently I've got plastic bags stuffed into all the cracks around the steering column; a blanket on the knees Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang style is another option, but rather inconvenient).

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Welcome to the Board Scarab!

I've never heard of that problem before. I've certainly not encountered that on the three 9000's I've owned, though the newest was 1992.

I wouldn't fancy a tartan blanket on the knees either - so can anyone else shed any light on this! ;-)

Kevin Mc
9000 Moderator

·
Registered
137 Posts
Where ever something needs to go from the engine compartment to the passenger area it should have a rubber gasket or grommet around it that seats in the firewall/bulkhead. It sounds like one may have popped out or come loose. Check both sides of the bulkhead for these items and you will probably find your draft.

Good luck

Alex

·
Registered
226 Posts
remove the false bulkhead covering at rear of engine compartment. There is a letter box size cover on drivers side that is removed to change pollen filter. Check this cover is in place properly. Also check your recirculation flap is operating. When outside air is cut off to allow old air recirculation, the cabin air is sucked back into the heater system via an inlet in the bulkhead above the steering column. If recirc. flap is stuck half way, fresh air will simply travel around it and blow onto your knees at speed. With ignition on, engine off, fan speed turned down, radio off, you should hear the recirc. flap operate when you press recirc. switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.